006

summer laid in her bed, tossing and turning, unable to sleep. lily had stopped staying over because she got in trouble, leading to summer's inevitable grounding. she had just deep cleaned her room, edited and uploaded her video, finished all of the homework for the month, and was still unable to drift her mind from the Instagram post.

she wanted to talk to someone, but lily, Chris, and nick were all asleep. she was kept awake, sweating, and mind-boggled in bed until she stopped overthinking and texted matt.

hey
ik we never text
but I have this feeling ur awake and I need to talk to someone.

hey summer
I'm awake wsp

okay so (and I'm sorry if I ramble and dump this on you)
but I had this friend from when I lived in Vermont, who I don't know what they look like and haven't talked to in years
I saw this post on insta earlier when we were filming, of a girl w the same name and that lives in Vermont, like my friend
but I can't find any identifier that it's her

oh dam

yah ik
sorry for dumping that on u it's just been on my mind all night and I can't sleep
I just needed to get it off my chest

Nah it's cool
I don't have any advice, but do you feel any better?

yah actually
thanks
I'm gonna try to get sleep now
xx

k goodnight

the next morning summer woke up with a different attitude than the night before. she felt sad and destroyed, after remembering that it had been 12 years since she'd seen her sister.

she woke up and didn't put any makeup on, and simply stayed in her pajamas. she didn't post on Instagram or TikTok, instead, she put her shoes on and got into her car, driving the opposite way of school.

summer didn't stop driving until she needed gas, at that point she had been driving for 2 hours. ignoring every text and every single call, ignoring the notifications coming up on her phone for the past 120 minutes. she just kept driving.

running away had always been her response to anything related to Rylee, which is ironic because summer actually kinda hates driving, it makes her anxiety go through the roof.

summer listened to music as she drove, sobbing occasionally. without even knowing, summer ended up getting on the interstate and heading north, to Vermont. when summer finally stopped crying and realized the way she was going, she didn't stop. her stepfather called and she meant to press the red button, but she ended up pressing the green button.

"your school just called, where the hell are you?" dave exclaimed through the phone.

"the interstate," summer said blankly, not controlling her lips.

"What?!?!" David yelled, the nice cop attitude leaving. "where do you plan on going that requires you to go on the interstate young lady?"

"Vermont"

anger boiled up in dave, anger he didn't know could be.

"what are you trying to go to Vermont for?"

"I don't know"

"I swear to god summer, if you don't turn your ass around right now-" as she hung up on her stepfather.

summer was now in an IHOP, scrolling through the group text messages.

HOTTIES (+ Chris and matt)

sunny = summer

Christina = Chris
wallsmacker = lily
buzzkill = matt
Nicki Minaj = nick

Nicki Minaj
is summer coming to school

wallsmacker
um, she's supposed to why?

buzzkill
we agreed to pick her up but her car is gone and her parents said she already left

wallsmacker
weird
it's not like her to bail on a free ride

Christina
ya she hates paying for gas

*1 hour later*

wallsmacker
ok summer where the hell are you

buzzkill
seriously
it's not funny anymore

Nicki Minaj
her car isn't here

wallsmacker
and her backpack isn't in her locker.

Christina
summer plz
are you okay?

*4 hours later (after school) *

wallsmacker
guys
her car isn't home yet

buzzkill
what

wallsmacker
yeah
I'm gonna talk to dave and shianne gimmie a sec

Nicki Minaj
oh god

wallsmacker
HOLY SHIT GUYS

Christina
WHAT

wallsmacker
DAVE SAID SHE LEFT THIS MORNING AND GOT ON THE INTERSTATE, TOWARDS VERMONT.

buzzkill
fucckk
does she usually do this?

wallsmacker
no. she hates Vermont

Nicki Minaj
but she was born there...?

wallsmacker
trust me, if you knew what I knew, you'd understand.

summer sighed at the texts, hating that she worried her friends. but at the same time, she was partially numb to the feeling. she replied blankly, not having the energy to give anything else.

sunny
I'm alr guys

727 words

liz speaks

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh suspensionnnnnnnnn

guys i'm in love with lily. she's such a good friend.

lummer4life