Chapter 1

Three months later...

Waking up that morning with a 5 month old Todd at her feet, (Y/n) did not expect the first thing to see on the national news was Alan's face. Apparently, he had bought a giraffe and was driving it home in his car, the animal standing up in a trailer being pulled behind. When they went under a bridge that was too low, the poor animal got decapitated, causing multiple crashes on the highway. Phil laughed aloud when he heard while (Y/n) just thought of how insane Alan must be to buy a giraffe.

(Y/n) and Phil had begun planning some of the wedding, and planned their bachelor/bachelorette party with just them and the guys, possibly Alan, for a few weeks before the wedding. They didn't want to make the same mistake a third time at a third wedding, especially if neither the bride or the groom were showing up after a night of drinking and partying.

The two of them sat at their couch, watching a few reruns of The Big Bang Theory, while Phil compared Sheldon Cooper to the likes of Alan. (Y/n) was laughing at something he said, when Phil's phone rang. She paused the show as he dug his phone out from his pocket and saw it was Doug. Putting it on speaker for the both of them, Phil said, "Hey, bud, what's up?"

"Nothing good... Tracy's dad died," Doug broke the news, and (Y/n) put her hands over her mouth in shock. Sid was always a nice man, and a very loving father to Tracy and Alan. She couldn't believe this had to happen to the poor woman, let alone Alan, who had said that his father was his 'life partner'.

"Oh, my God. What happened?" Phil asked, and they heard Doug sigh over the phone.

"Apparently, Alan and Sid had gotten into an argument over the whole giraffe situation, and it was too much for Sid. He passed out from a heart attack, and... died," Doug explained, and (Y/n) sighed.

"Hey, well, listen, we're gonna be there for Tracy and Alan, all right?" (Y/n) said through the phone, and Phil nodded. "Just let them know that we're here."

"I will. Tracy's not doing too good with the news. Arthur doesn't know what's wrong with his mother, and she's trying to stay all right for him, but I can tell she's taking a toll with the news," Doug explained, and (Y/n) and Phil could hear the worry for his wife in his voice. "I've gotta go. I just wanted to tell you guys there's a funeral next week, and it would mean a lot to Alan and Tracy if you were there."

"Doug, of course we'll be there," (Y/n) stated for the both of them.

"Thanks. I'll let Tracy know you guys are here. Bye."

They said their goodbyes to Doug and looked at one another, a familiar feeling of sorrow washing over them. (Y/n) was too familiar with losing her father, and she wished that upon no soul in the world, no matter how dark and twisted they were.

On the day of the funeral, Phil and (Y/n) sat with Stu and Lauren as they watched the service. Before the minister stood up to say the sermon, Alan had begun singing a very high song, Ave Maria, his voice carrying through the cemetery. It was actually rather good as (Y/n) listened to it, holding Phil's hand, as Doug, Tracy, and Linda sat up front, Linda struggling with her husband's service.

"My, God, he's got the voice of an angel," Phil whispered to Stu.

"It's breathtaking," Stu answered back, and went back to watching the song in awe.

When Alan finished his song, he cleared his throat and put his mouth close to the microphone as he said, "I can't believe my daddy is dead. I can think of so many people I would rather have died first. Like my mother." Linda inhaled sharply at her son's statement, holding in her tears, as Tracy shook her head at her brother's words. (Y/n) pinched the bridge of her nose before looking back up at him. "As many of you know, my father and I were extremely close. He was my life partner. He would often tell me, almost on a daily basis, that I was his favorite child." Tracy looked at him, appalled that he would say such a thing. "I'll always remember the last words he said to me, 'I'm proud of you, Alan. Never change'." (Y/n) didn't think that was true, considering they had gotten into a fight before Sid died. "Well, I heard you loud and clear, Daddy... I will never change. Never ever."