Chapter 2

The next morning, they had a little bit of time before they had to pick up Stu, so they spent a couple of hours trying to train Todd a few tricks. He was a very smart dog, that was for sure, and (Y/n) was surprised how well he was getting down all the tricks. Phil was like magic with him, the dog listening to his commands well and immediately.

When ten thirty rolled around, they said goodbye to Todd and headed out the door to the car before making their way down to Stu's house, seeing him waiting out front for them as he kissed Lauren goodbye, making her own way to work. Thankfully, she had agreed to housesit while they were away at Alan's Arizona trip so that Todd wouldn't be alone. Stu hopped in the backseat of the van and they started off to Alan and Linda's house, pulling into the driveway with the others cars that were there.

Walking inside, Linda greeted them warmly and said, "Again, thank you so much for coming."

"Oh, of course," Phil brushed it off as they went into the living room.

Linda brought them in, and (Y/n) saw a few familiar faces, while others were foreign to her. Linda pointed to a man with long hair and a funny beard and said, "This is Neeco. Neeco is a good friend of Alan's."

"Sup, bros," Neeco greeted, raising his hand.

"Oh, yeah, hey," Phil passively replied, while (Y/n) pointed at him.

"You gave us our wedding clothes for Doug's wedding four years ago," she said, and he nodded his head.

"That was a hot dress, by the way," Neeco said, looking her up and down, which caused Phil to move in front of her as they looked at the others around the room.

"And that's Blanca. Blanca's been with us since Alan was a baby," Linda gestured to an older woman with glasses and short hair, who smiled at them.

"Hello," Blanca said, her slight accent showing through.

"Hello," Phil nodded as he took of his aviators, (Y/n) waving hi.

"And this is Timothy. Timothy lives across the street. He and Alan swim together," Linda pointed to the last person in the room, a boy of maybe twelve years old.

Phil, Stu, and (Y/n) all shared a glance at the statement, thinking it a little weird that forty year old Alan swam with this young boy. "Hey, what's up, little man?" Phil asked the kid, who waved at them and said, 'hey'.

"Why don't you guys take a seat?" Doug said, and gestured to the many seats in front of them, all in a circle. Phil, (Y/n) and Stu all headed towards the couch on the other side of the coffee table, (Y/n) sitting down in between the two men. "Tracy's on her way back with Alan right now. Obviously, he has no idea this is coming, so things might get a little intense. But, no matter what happens, remember, this is all about Alan getting better."

As soon as he finished speaking, the front door opened, and Tracy and Alan walked in. Alan didn't even look around him before shouting, "Mother, Oreo smoothie, now!" When he did glance to his left, he did a double take at the gathering in the living room, looking confused behind his glasses as Tracy walked in behind him and closed the door. "Oh. Hey everyone."

"Hey," Phil greeted, knowing Alan would mostly want to hear a greeting from him first.

Alan looked to the little boy and said, "Hey, Timothy. Little cold for a swim, isn't it?"

Timothy looked to Doug, who nodded, letting him know they'd get to it. "Oh, wow, look. You went to the pier today. How was that?" Phil asked, noticing his shirt.

"We had a great time," Tracy smiled, but Alan looked warily at the people around him.

"Yeah. I played skee ball for, like, 45 minutes. It was a sick workout," Alan said casually, cracking his neck, before his questions returned. "What's going on?"