Just the Beginning

"All she, wooiiii di tings weh mi hear bout she" my cellmates corresponded, eyeing me up and down.

I rolled my eyes and continued spreading my bed.

A wah one a dem come touch mi.

Today was a big day, trial day. My ticket out of this place filled with vile creatures, but also the day that determines if I rot and die in prison.

How fun.

As I was handed my court attire the correctional officer spoke.

"Miss Tindale, your lawyer would like to speak with you"

I nodded in response only to see that he was still standing infront of me, lustfully taking in my body as I started to remove my clothing.

" So ya guh stand up dehso like eediat a watch mi change? A di first ya see oman?" I questioned

He quickly cleared his throat and walked away.

A few minutes later I met with my lawyer, Mr Taylor.

"The trial is 5 hours from now, we may be able to try this as shooting with intent to do grevious bodily harm." He said

"How many years would I receive?" I asked

"Fifteen to life." He said cringing

"So are you telling me that throughout the three weeks I have been incarcerated, you are just now trying to come up with a defense? Are you even a real lawyer?" I stated angrily.

"What do you mean Miss Tindale?" He questioned.

"Mi stutter? Mi ask if you nah nuh bloodclaat sense a come to me now wid fuckry when mi done gi you enough time fi sort out you crawsis Anthony." I said now standing up.

Guards quickly came over, holding me down to the chair. I cleared my throat and continued.

"I don't appreciate this lackadaisical behavior Mr Taylor because you and I both know that I am more than generously paying you to defend me here today, must I have to do your job for you?"

Not to my surprise, Mr Taylor utilized the hours quite well, presenting a variety of alternatives, some of which actually seemed suitable.
It was not long before I had entered the court room. The jury eyed my every move as if they were waiting for me to slip up so they could throw me in jail and erase Jazariah Tindale from the face of the earth.

Dem ave a guest coming.

The boring details of my case seemed like heaven to the prosecutors as they were all eager to make their own stupid assumptions of what took place that night. It took everything in me to not fall asleep on the ever so inviting mahogany table but I was quickly energized as the next witness, one I knew could make or break this entire trial was called to the stand.

" Good morning everyone. My name is George Parker,  I have known Miss Tindale and Mr Brown for two years while working as the security guard for their house in Spring Gardens, Kingston. On Thursday the 15th of May at around 10pm Miss Tindale arrived home from work. A few minutes after, she asked if I had seen her fiancé to which I replied no. At 2:00am the next morning I realized Mr Brown had arrived, stumbling out of the car with a female I recognized to be Miss Tindale's friend."

As George spoke I recalled the incidents that led to the mess I was now in.

"What should I get him though?"

I wondered as this man had everything money could buy. The pink one looked a little too girly but the interior matched his sexy personality.

"Zariah, look pon d bwoy shoes , why him did afto look like a ediat suh?"

A familiar voice said interrupting my train of thoughts.

It was my goody too shoe of a bestfriend finding yet another flaw in her man's picture.

"Tessi, the man doh look nuh way, yuh affi stop this behavior." I muttered before looking up.

"Den me should a know better dan fi show you nothing, cuz you can never tell Brandon fi tek dung dem picha deh wen him look like skittles." Tessi said in disgust.

I smiled as she walked away soon realizing that she was indeed correct.

It was ten o'clock on the dot, the sound of my keys dangling through the eerie silence of the yard made me shiver.

As I stepped through the front door, something felt different The usual smell of dinner was absent and I knew something had changed.

"Today a Thursday doh?" I asked myself while looking at my phone screen.

"Brandon know seh a fi him day fi do di cooking and him really doh prepare nothing? A hungry man is a angry man eno. A wonder if him know? Probably him order something though." I began talking to myself.

In the midst of my thoughts I realized that I hadn't even seen his car parked outside.

I stepped outside to get confirmation from my security.

"Goodnight George, did Brandon come home anytime today?" I asked

"No boss nuh foward in from him lef this morning."

"Okay, have a goodnight." I said walking off with a weakened feeling in my knee.

Brandon was always one to tell me when he would be home late, though I am a bit early from work today he is usually home by now. Like a mother, I became worried about Brandon safety and wellbeing.

Tik....the clock sounded indicating that it was now two am.

The door unlocked and I jumped out of the couch with my eyes half opened and my hands flopped to my side. Before he could enter I was already at the door.

"Brandon yuh alr-" I started but was cut off as I noticed a female sliding her hands in and out his pockets as his body danced side to side, staggering to enter.

"Kiss me babe." he said to her.

I ran to the light switch trying to make out what I was really hearing and partially seeing in the dark. I flipped the switch quickly and their heads looked up in disbelief.

"Leggo off a me deh Tessi." he whispered

"Babes weh yah do yah suh early, nuh 3 o clock yuh would a normally come off a work." he said

"A DAT YUH FUCKING WORRIED BOUT!? " I shouted harshly as tears prickled the back of my eyes.

"Just cool nuh b ,nothing a gwan yasso man." he said reassuringly trying to hold my hands .

But I was done with his games, and Tessi's silence was a dead give away. I wiped my now tear filled eyes and began shouting.

"Uno come out! Come out now."

His pleading fell on deaf ears because this happened one too many times. But with my bestfriend? I won't stand for this.

"Uno come out before me do something me ago regret." I said as the harsh blanket of hurt and denial wrapped itself around the atmosphere.

Mr Taylor's slight nudge brought me back to reality as I now faced with the consequences of my actions.