Chapter 6

We landed a little heavier than I'd like, my hand gripping the back of Stevens belt to keep him on his feet as he finally stopped screaming. I pulled him straight, tapping his cheek as my eyes twinkled with mischief.

"A little more warning would've been nice..." he muttered and I put my hands up in a 'what can I do' way.

"So what can you tell me about all this?" I gestured to the entrance to the tomb.

"Oh wow... look at you..." he breathed, his eyes widening with amazement. "They've been standing guard for centuries."

I just watched him, he was like a child in a sweet shop. It was really rather adorable.

"Like, if they sprang to life right now and asked me riddle for passage, I'd be thrilled."

"You'd shit yourself Steven."

"Yeah... But I'd be thrilled."

I chuckled, moving deeper into the tomb to see a stone table of some kind in the center with different passages surrounding it.

"Great... Which one do we choose?"

Steven moved towards me, his hand brushing along my shoulders as he studied our surroundings.

"It's a maze..." I breathed.

"It's a-maze-ing." He grinned and I raised my eyebrows, shocked at his attempt of a pun.

"Please don't do that again." I scoffed and he laughed a little.

"Yeah, yeah yeah." He moved to the table, his finger drawing a symbol in the dirt. "It's the eye of Horus."

I stepped beside him, not saying anything as I peaked around a corner, a sliver of my energy going down one of the paths. I wasn't sure I wanted to follow that one.

"Let's go this way."

Steven nodded in agreement and we both walked down an incredibly creepy hallway, my hands waving the cobwebs away. I swear if something jumps out on me I'm going to lose my shit.

"That's blood..." Stevens voice trembled and I followed his line of sight, seeing blood smeared across the stone as if someone was being dragged.

"And a lot of it..." I stepped over it, walking into a chamber and seeing a large stone table, blood dripping from the sides with jars surrounding it. The room smelt so strongly of metal I covered my nose, looking around at the large statues across one wall.

"Heka priests." He said "Judging by their masks and ceremonial stance. They would've been entombed in here to protect the pharaoh."

I nodded slowly, moving closer to the table. It was quite interesting to be learning so much but also be worrying if we were both going to survive whatever was going to happen next.

"Oh, my God. Oh, God. Is that fresh blood? Isn't that little chunks of meaty bits?"

I stepped in front of him "Keep your eyes on me okay? Don't look at that, let's just keep moving."

Steven turned to the opening on the other side of the room and he froze. "Um, just a minute. Just a minute. I'm just saying what I see, and I see lots of bones and blood going that way."

I peered around him and recoiled slightly, my nose scrunching up. "Yeah that's a very good point."

"So I'm just thinking, like, what if there's maybe another... There's, like, another..." he spun around, looking from floor to ceiling. "There's an opening up there. You see that?"