Chapter 5

~~~~~~RHYSAND~~~~~~~~

Feyre, Mor, and Rhys followed closely behind Marco up the stairs. They walked down the hall and stood in front of an imposing wooden door. 

They watched Marco stiffen before knocking on the door. Even in the presence of three of the most powerful high fae in the world, Marco didn't flinch... But the man looked terrified of the woman who sat behind this door. 

They put on their political masks. The sarcastic monster, High Lord Rhysand. The unstoppable powerhouse, Feyre Curse Breaker. The Morrigan. readying themselves to meet Loki Brekker. 

"Enter" They heard a cold rasp laced with venom sound from behind the door. 

Marco opened the door for them allowing them to step in first. 

Whatever they were expecting to see, this was not it. Loki Brekker, was not at all how they pictured the monstrous bastard of the barrel.

She was a petite woman, pale as porcelain with ash blonde hair. Her hair was not gold like Mors but not exactly white like a member of the winter court, somewhere in between. 

She wore deep red lipstick on her pouty lips and an entirely black outfit. Her hands, hidden beneath two black leather gloves, expertly spun a pen between her nimble fingers.

They had never expected her to be pretty. Sure all fae were gorgeous, it was part of their immortal charm. But Loki was so... pretty. 

She looked delicate, if they didn't know who she was they'd guess her to have the personality of Elain from her kind beauty alone. 

That was until Loki decided to turn her attention onto them. 

Even the High Lord's spine straightened when she looked into his eyes. 

Cold. Calculating. Dangerous. 

Rhys clenched his jaw, fighting the urge to drag his mate as far away from the demon that looked down her nose at them. 

Rhys had no idea how old she was. If she fought with Hybern in the wars. How had he never heard of Loki Brekker before the Suriel warned him? Did Azriel know about her?

His mind ran a million miles a minute with questions.

His muscles stiffened as she moved to reach into her pocket, only to pull out a pocket watch. 

"It is 10:12 now. You have until 10:20 to make this interaction worth my time... Go." Loki's cold voice sent a show of terror down their spines. 

It was like they were standing in front of Briaxis hoping she wouldn't devour them. 

And so they began.

~~~~~LOKI~~~~~~~~

Shit.

That was Loki's first thought when she saw High lord Rhysand, High Lady Feyre Archeron, and the Morrigan step into her office. 

She knew it was too easy. 

Too damn easy. 

She had robbed them blind a little over a week ago and now they had found her. 

Shit.

Shit. 

Shit.

Loki was a master at keeping her cool. But this was pushing her limits. She built an impenetrable wall in her mind. Knowing of the night courts' affinity for daematis.

God she hated Daematis, ever since the matron and Jordie, Loki made it her mission to build a wall so strong, that no daemati would ever be able to get through. Not even High lord of the night court.

Loki Brekker had no God. She served none but herself. Inej's words from long ago popped into her head, 'Men mock the gods until they need them, Loki.' 

Loki Brekker had no God. But sweet Cauldron was she praying now.

Loki reached into her pocket, pulling out her pocket watch. "It is 10:12 now. You have until 10:20 to make this interaction worth my time... Go." 

"We need your help." Feyre Archeron began. 

Loki almost cried in relief. They didn't know it was her! Oh maybe Inej was right, praying does do something. 

"We need you to find something for us. It was stolen and it is far too dangerous to be out in the world. If it gets into the wrong hands a lot of people can get hurt." The Morrigan continued. 

Loki almost laughed at the pleading look in her eyes. 

"Look Skivs... Don't go lookin' for sympathy. You won't find any in the Barrel. Tell me what was stole and how much you are willing to empty your pockets for me to get it back." Loki cut off the inevitable appeal to the good nature of her nonexistent conscience. 

"Someone stole the book of breathing. We need it back. We're willing to pay 20 Million for you to make that happen." Rhysand cut in. Looking Loki right in the eye.

Loki fought to keep her breath steady, knowing damn well that book was sitting pretty in the room directly above their heads.

That she was the one who stole it. 

"50 Mil and I'll get you your book in a few days," Loki responded casually, calmly.

"...Deal." Feyre cut in. 

Before I could continue Inej walked out of the shadows. Her shadows curled around her like tendrils. 

Loki looked at her for confirmation, ignoring the astonished looks of the Night Court. 

"Well?" 

"Dead after drinking it. He killed himself right after." Inej responded shortly. Her laid-back demeanor was gone the second her shadows warned her about who was sitting in Loki's office. 

"Fine. Give the rest of it to Alice. Then I need you to find all you can on the current location of the book of breathing." Loki said, her face masked with cool indifference. 

Inej bowed before disappearing once again into the shadows.

"S-she's a shadow singer!" Feyre proclaimed, looking at the wall where Inej disappeared.

"Your time is up. Come back in three days with the cash and I'll have the book."

"Your confident," Rhysand said.

"I'm just good at what I do. See you in three days."