Chapter 22

~~~~NYX~~~~~

Nyx had endured training with Azriel. He had endured training with the Valkeries. He had survived the fucking Blood Rite.

But never. 

EVER.

Has Nyx endured such torment as he felt when Loki Brekker walked down the stairs in the Sangrava dancer uniform. 

The air was knocked out of his lungs with such force he nearly fell out of his chair. 

He felt the splintering wood of his chair crack under his strong grip. His fingers craved to touch every inch of the silky smooth ivory skin she displayed. 

She usually hid her form beneath layers of dark clothing, he had never seen so much of her at once and he wasn't sure he could endure it long. The curve of her slender waist, the toned muscle in her arms and abs, the swell of her breasts held up by red and gold fabric that he was ready to tear off with his teeth.

He used every ounce of his will to hold himself back from claiming her in front of everyone. She had not explained the plan before so the surprise of her outfit sent him into a lust-filled haze. 

He barely heard what anyone else said, his attention solely on her. 

He couldn't stand it at the moment. For many reasons, one being that part of Nyx was standing at full attention, another being he was sure his knees wouldn't support his weight at the moment. 

Eventually, he suppressed his raging desire long enough to actually partake in the conversation. Only for Loki, his beautiful, precious mate, to tell him he was going to have to stand by and watch as other males would lust after her, degrade her...TOUCH her. 

Fuck it. Leave Prythian to burn. No one is touching her. 

He knew better. He knew that it was part of her master plan. Part of her strategy to get them safely across the border without being caught... but he barely had control seeing her now, seeing other people look at her like this would send him into a fury. 

But she was Loki Brekker. 

And he knew she wouldn't let anyone too close to her or her crows. Still, the thought was unsettling. 

He tried to prepare himself. Tried to steady his breathing as they winnowed to the line at the Entertainment gate. 

Loki handed him the papers, she had dropped her mental shields so she could tell him exactly what to say before slamming them back into place. She had handed him her leather gloves with shaky hands and he was surprised to find them completely normal. 

"Don't lose them." She had said as he placed them in his pocket.

He had found out everything he could about Loki after their bargain. He had heard a thousand different rumors about why Dirty Hands Brekker always wore gloves. He had assumed they probably resembled his uncle Azriel's, he was surprised to find them completely normal, slender hands. 

Why did she wear the gloves then? 

Other women in the same outfits were standing next to their 'owners' waiting in the line to enter. 

They finally made it to the front where a large guard stood, "Papers of entrance and claims of ownership." The man said in a bored tone, not looking up from his clipboards."

Mastering the bored, arrogant look on his face, Nyx handed the man the papers and slid his hands into his pockets.

The man looked through the papers before looking up at them. The man's posture changed as he looked at the girls, a tangible hunger filling his gaze.