Chapter 17

"Elijah!" I screamed out, running towards him. Blood coated his shirt and soaked through my hands as I held it desperately.

"Elijah, please, please." I begged.

"L-L-Laura." He said weakly.

"I'm here, I'm here." Tears blurred my vision. A huge lump was in my throat.

"I-I need to tell you something."

"W-What? What is it?" I ask softly, my voice giving out.

"I-I love you."

And then I kiss him. I kiss him for a long time, until I'm out of breath.

When I look back down, his eyes are closed, and I can't hear him breathing.

"Elijah?" I ask weakly.

He doesn't answer.

I scream a terrible cry, and run into the nearest room.

The sight surprises me.

All of the previous winners from other rounds are frozen in tubes, frozen in silent screams. Even Rachel is already there.

I thought they got out.

Tears threaten to overcome me again, but then I see something nearest to Rachel's partner's tube.

The label reads "Gunshot serum. Fix a wound and fix it fast. Hurry, or he won't last!"

I quickly run towards it and grab it.

Elijah, I'll save you.

I run out and see Elijah still on the ground, the rest of the group looking sad.

"Move! Move now!"

"Lauar, he's gone." A man looking forty says.

"No! No! I have something!"

I shove him out of the way and open the bottle with shaking hands. Then, I pour it on the wound, and wait.

I start to think it won't work.

It was a lie, he's too late, he's gone. Elijah's dead.

Then, I hear a deep breath come from Elijah.