Chapter 15

Aboard the Phoenix Starship Enterprise, Jupiter orbit, Sol System.

Shepard is aboard the Enterprise waiting for the Director to hail them for their next move. With Karin joining her crew, she now has the soldier element of her group - Sara, her infiltrator; Aubree, her sniper; and Jack, her new tech. The only thing bothering her is that they are all human. Shepard has had a mixed team of Turians, Quarians, Asari, and Salarians for so long. This brings back the old feeling from when she first started out in the Alliance.

"Commander, the Director would like to have a word with you," DAN chimes as Shepard places the data pad she was looking at on her desk.

"Thank you, tell her I will be there shortly," states Shepard as she makes her way out of her cabin. Shepard moves to her elevator as she makes her way down to the CIC. As the doors open to the CIC, she finds Jack at his station. Even now, she still can't believe that this yeoman is a high-end tech who is starting to put Tali to shame. As Shepard thinks, she is walking to the war room aboard the Enterprise. As she makes her way to the QEC, she spots Karin going over some security protocols of some sort. This piques her interest.

"What are you looking at, Karin?" asks Shepard as Karin looks up to see Shepard walking over to the QEC.

"Just some security protocols. I was the chief of security at Fort Worth before I went to Chicago," states Karin. Shepard nods as she passes Karin on her way to the QEC. She punches in a few holographic buttons and the Director hologram appears.

"Shepard, I hope your trip to Earth was productive," the Director states as Shepard looks at the hologram.

"Yes, if I'm going to go after the Alliance, I'm going to need the best...and since most of those I know will not truly help me, I need to find them - people who have been betrayed. I just picked up the Guardian of Chicago. That, in itself, is a blow to Hackett and the PM," states Shepard as the Director absorbs what she is saying but remains unfazed by the new information.

"At least Hackett anyway, Commander. Still, this is more than what we have had in a while now," states the Director.

"Just thought you would like to hear it from me, ma'am."

"That's fine, Commander. As long as you can trust the ones you recruit, I will be fine with it," states the Director as she looks at Shepard.

"The Quarians are willing to talk, but only to you. They are seeing the ways of Phoenix, at least we think so, Shepard. This includes your old teammate, Tali'Zorah. If we can get the Quarians and the Geth to side with us, it will be a major coup. We would cut over 56% of the ships available to the United Galaxy and the Alliance. I want you to personally go and try to negotiate with them. But be cautious of the Alliance; they may try to use this to get to you," states the Director as Shepard remains stunned by what she has just been told.

"Do you believe in the Intelligence?" asks Shepard, not believing this.

"No... but it's an opportunity we cannot afford to ignore at all. Head to Rannoch, talk to the Speaker of the Conclave and the Admiralty Board, convince them to aid Phoenix. Do I make myself clear, commander?" ordered the director.

"Yes, ma'am, we'll get it done," answered Shepard as the director's hologram cut connection.