Chapter 26

Sara Anderson stood in the observation deck of a Quarian flotilla cruiser, gazing out at the Krogan home world. Just 48 hours prior, Phoenix had made a public announcement to the entire galaxy about an assassination attempt on Commander Shepard by an Alliance agent and former Director of Alliance Intelligence - Sara Anderson. Sara had anticipated this move.  Admiral Tali Zorah had brought forth evidence of a false flag attack on their orbital station, and much more to the rest of the Admiralty Board. Despite the evidence, the Admiralty was unable to take action due to their involvement in intense fighting against Axis forces. However, they become extremely wary of Phoenix and Commander Shepard. Tali had even sought out Urdnot Wrex, who was known for his silence, but the expression he gave was pure anger. To him, Shepard had brought an unwanted war to his planet. Meanwhile, the Turian Republic or Turian Rebels, as dubbed by the Hierarchy, appeared to feign ignorance but it was clear they knew something.

Despite Phoenix's denial of any wrongdoing, including Shepard's alleged confession on the vid, Shepard confessed to speaking with Sara and falsely claimed that it was Sara who had attempted to kill her twice now. Phoenix had managed to stop Sara from completing the job the second time around. However, many Quarians who were present at the Coalition Forward Operating Base found part of the claim to be questionable at best, as Sara had been seen at the FOB overseeing Intelligence when Shepard was first shot.

This development has caused a rift within the Coalition, with some members feeling conflicted. Nevertheless, the Coalition leaders ultimately decided to press on with the war until more concrete evidence is presented.

Sara had found refuge on Tali's flagship, while Karen was on board the Enterprise. Sara gazed out through the transparent metal, which served as a window, as the Alliance quickly denied any involvement in the assassination attempt, labeling it as yet another false flag attack. Despite the kill order on Commander Shepard, no one in the Alliance, Higharchy, or CDF forces were authorized to carry out the order. However, as expected, many people were skeptical of their claims.

24 hours ago, the UN Secretary General had called for a special session of the UN General Assembly to vote on whether the Sol Systems Alliance should continue to represent Earth and its inhabitants. The resolution to remove the Alliance as the face of Earth narrowly failed, but many nations, including China, Russia, Canada, France, Germany, the United North American States, and especially the United Kingdom, passed their own resolutions to force the Alliance withdraw from their soil.

After the UN's failed attempt to resolve the conflict, the Alliance Parliament called for an emergency session. During the session, a vote of no confidence was proposed against the current Prime Minister of the Alliance, but it was not successful, just like the UN vote. The Alliance faced similar challenges to those on Earth, with many planetary systems refusing to allow them in their space. This led to a declining support base for the Alliance, which was worsening with every passing hour. Despite all efforts to end the war, it continued to rage on.

The Alliance was suffering significant losses, but they were still holding on. Sara was interrupted by someone approaching her and turned to see Admiral Zorah walking towards her.

"Phoenix is demanding that we turn you over, or they will stop all aid to us," Tali said, looking towards the Krogan home world. "We will give you two hours to prepare to leave. And then we ask that you do. I am sorry," she added, knowing that this was a difficult situation for Sara.

"We know it was not you. Wrex agrees with the Admiralty and you, but we simply can't lose Phoenix support. Not when we are neck-deep in fighting," Tali continued. Sara was already planning to leave and didn't need to hear the explanation. She had her own war to fight, to clear her friend's name and stop the woman who was tarnishing it. She knew she couldn't do it from the Quarian cruiser.