Chapter 3: Set Down

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope." — Maya Angelou

(Unedited)

Angelik's POV

I took my time to shower and choose what to wear. A lot of thoughts were racing in my head.

Why the sudden kindness?

Max was acting so unlike him. Even before, he wasn't this calm and almost sweet. It's painfully boggling me.

And being in the dark, unknown of the works of his mind, terrified me a bit.

I know Max is intimidating, howbeit he's not going to see that. I've been very good at hiding my genuine emotions.

Sighing, I decided on the halted butterfly-printed dress with a split thigh. The hem just passed my knee. It's tempting but not revealing.

The dress screaming, 'come and get me, but you can't take me.'

Mas was waiting for me when I got down to the kitchen, sipping his wine and frowning at the table. Impatience was written all over his face.

"You should have started if you were hungry," I said as I sashayed towards the set table. The exquisite aroma of the pork chops makes my mouth watered.

He snapped his head in my direction, and his face brightened.

Do I see things differently?

Because when he opened that delicious lips of his, it said differently.

When his frosty glare touched my thigh just as the skirt of my dress splits, it showed my thigh, and I caught his eyes darkened before he shifted them away.

"Then waiting for you for hours just going to waste?" he sneered, and I sighed.

Inwardly, my heart is beating so fast. I find it so thoughtful. And it hurt me because all these actions contradicted all that came out of his mouth.

I occupied the seat across from him. I usually sat next to him so I could touch his buffed thighs.

Of course, his buffed thighs were my weakness, aside from his ripped expansive chest. You can plant on the valleys of his corded muscles on his chest.

Of course, that was a silly thought.

Max placed a big piece of buttery pork chops on my plate, smothered with the capers sauce, and the aroma of the food assaulted my poor nostril. I triggered my belly, and before I could do something to hide it, it made the loudest noise over the sound of the utensils clicking with the plate.

Max's hand froze in the air with a big spoon filled with mashed potatoes, his eyes filled with laughter resting on my face.

I felt the heat rising from the tips of my toes upward and settling on my cheeks.

"That was the loudest growl I've ever heard!" Max laughed as he put the mashed potatoes on my plate next to the meat.

"Would you like some gravy?" he asked, his eyes laughing.

I couldn't help but laugh.

"Please," I said and grabbed the fork and knife and dug in before my belly protested again.

I ate a little during my break time and didn't have any appetite for dinner when Lisa and I went to the nearby restaurant to eat. Max had been flagging my mind since I went to work and until I was off work.

I popped a piece of pork into my mouth, and I smiled as the meat melted into my mouth. It was tender and moist, and I could never replicate it even when Max gave me the recipe.