Chapter 13: Code Red

"Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up." — Joseph Barth

Angelik's POV

The hospital called my husband in at around five at dawn, as light tried to seize the darkness. So when I woke up this morning, I decided I should spend time with Sasha and bond.

But halfway through our breakfast, my phone reverberated on the island counter. My eyes rolled upward, but then when I thought it could be my husband, I shot up and excused myself.

And then my eyes darted to the flashing screen as soon as I got closer to the counter.

My chief nurse's name flashed, calling. My happiness plummeted to the ground.

My eyes darted at Sasha, who got up from her seat, eyeing me with curiosity.

"Darn, our chief nurse," I said, picking up the phone, and she nodded, turning towards the water filter tap and holding her empty glass.

"Hello?"

"Can you come in today? Maddy got the flu, and Juliana's babysitter didn't show up. We are short-staffed..." I stared at Sasha's glowing face while mindlessly worried my bottom lip, listening to my chief nurse. "I need you, Angel. I need you to come in." I let out a soft sigh.

"All right, I'll come as soon as I can." I decided and gave Sasha an apologetic smile.

"Great!" she exclaimed, and then I heard the dial tone.

"Let me guess... seeing that smile fading from your face, that look seemingly had lost a billion dollars, plans is cancelled?" Sasha said, and I nodded my head, a little embarrassed.

We were supposed to go to the gym, hit the salon, and then shop at the mall. And I was so excited this morning since I missed it. Back home, during our University days, my best friends and I go almost every weekend.

"Can we go tomorrow?" I asked, feeling sorry for spoiling her (and mine) excitement.

"They're just short-staffed." Sasha waved her hand nonchalantly.

"No, no. I understand, and that's work. People need you. The gym and salon can wait until tomorrow," she beamed, and I gave her a grateful smile.

With less enthusiasm, I paced back to my seat and continued my breakfast while conversing with Sasha about anything.

Sasha offered to clean the table and the kitchen, so I quickly got ready to work. So I dashed out of the house like a cyclone.

As soon as I got to the parking lot, my energy dwindled. That traffic which took me almost half an hour to get to the hospital nearly drained me.

I smiled as the enormous glass-made canopy on the entrance was in front of me. The hospital has high ceilings, beautiful spaces for waiting rooms and a family room for respite. A building with a therapeutic vibe/atmosphere, restorative, and at the same time, relaxation.

I quickly swiped my timecard and then headed to the nurse's den, where the lockers were located.

I stashed my stuff in one of the nurse's lockers, and Jo and Lisa walked in on me. The two stopped talking, and a broad smile touched their tired faces.

"What's with that smile?" I playfully glared at them and closed my locker, stashing my phone in one of my scrub's pockets.

I was wearing a pair of forest-green scrub over a white long sleeve.

Lisa wore a black head cap matching her scrub, while Jo wore a floral top with orange, green, and blue and paired it with blue scrub pants.

I noticed the eye bags under Jo's eyes.