Chapter 7: Drunken Heel

"A Drunk woman's word, a sober woman's thoughts." — Unknown

( Unedited )

Angelik POV

My elbow prepensely connected to his as I tried to catch Josephine's eyes. Max had apologized to Jo between laughter while the rest was oddly gawking at Max.

What's odd when a person laughed rowdy?

Jo didn't care if Max laughed at her name. She was rather fascinated at how Max's face lit up, softened instead of the hard lines everyone was used to as he burst into a wave of an obstreperous laugh. His head tilted back as he roared in laughter, his eyes crinkled, and his face was absolutely amused.

Hadn't they seen him laughing that loud before?

I would laugh at all their similar reactions, mouth agape, eyes wide, and with a frown of disbelief across their faces.

It was hilarious, but I was pissed off right now.

And then, everyone joined him in a clamorous chuckle, chortling that was so contagious, and I couldn't contain myself and chuckled at the absurdity of the situation, yet they all found it amusing.

"You never failed to amuse me," Max whispered against my ears while everyone was too busy clutching their tummy or shaking their heads while trying to contain their amusement.

I smiled at him, eyes widening at him to stop laughing. It's annoying me. And the fact that he looked even more striking, and if only he's not so maddening, I would drag him to the restroom and have my fill of him.

Why does he have to be so maddeningly handsome?

His jaws carved out of granite, his patrician nose that was only famous of the royals, blue eyes surrounded with long dark lashes any woman would die to have, and a pair of lips that reminded me all the time of a succulent fresh strawberry.

A pair were of perfectly full lips incongruous to a face that was cold, hard, and rough around the edges but oddly made him magnificent.

A perfection!

And he knew it.

And that annoyed me to no end.

He met my eyes, and my heart stopped a beat.

And it hurt that even after he accused me, hadn't trusted me, my heart still longed for him.

My heart still stupidly beat for him.

Not even Cyrus' boyish, boy-next-door feature had made my heart cavort. Even when he intensely stared at me, there was no excitement.

My heart failed to do just a little summersault, just as it always does when Max stares at me the same way.

"Glad that you find me funny," I said through gritted teeth all the while smiling, feigning unaffected in the presence of their friends, but deep within me, I'd like to slap the smirk out of his face. Thank you!

"It's just one of your many talents, love. I can remind you some if you want to hear my opinion," he furtively leaned even closer, his head turned and peered over my shoulder, feigning he was interested at the off white wall behind me.

My eyes peered over our friends, and they all seemed lost in their conversations.

I glanced over to Jo, and her head huddled closer to Cy as she was intently listening to whatever he was saying.

"So, are you sure you're not going to let me touch you?"

I snapped my head to him, and he was grinning at me, occasionally turning his gaze at our friends, his smirk was too annoying, yet it affected me so much.