Chapter 30: The Truth

"Don't lie to me unless you're absolutely sure that I will never find the truth."— Ashleigh Brilliant

.........

MAX

"No!" I muttered indenially with vehemence. My hands tightened around the cellphone as I stared obliviously at the white wall of the hospital. 

Jennifer was sent to the closest hospital from our home, the Mount Sanai Hospital. I know Rahesh, one of the doctors in the emerg.

Some of the doctors there was a medical resident of ours and one of them was Rahesh. 

"I'm sorry, Max. We did our best. Her husband came over to see—"

"Ex!" I corrected, cutting his words unconsciously, my tone biting as anger rising faster than the light. "Why did they let that bastard in? And why would he be there? He refused to come when his kids needed him!" I bit out gruffly.

"We didn't know she didn't want him there. And it seemed that Jennifer was fine. Just a few hours after her ex left, she suddenly had a seizure before she went unconscious. We tried reviving her..."

I walked over to one of the chairs in the conference room. My free hand mindlessly massage my temple. I'm lost. Rahesh's words faded as my mind drifted to the kids. 

There was no way Ivy and Spencer's dad will take care of them. Unless Jennifer left a will with the appointed guardian.

"... ruptured cerebral aneurysm. Do you know her personally?" Rahesh asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"No. We just met her on the day of the accident," I replied, sinking into the chair with my heart clenching for the poor kids.

My jaws clenched at the thought of Jennifer's husband sudden visit. He probably antagonized her, made her angry. He purposely did it to get rid of her. 

I sat up right at the thought, my body buzzing with fury.

"We tried to contact the only person related to her in her files. I'm wondering if you know her aunt. Jane Brooks. We tried multiple times to reach her number, but no luck." 

She didn't mention about her.

"I'll find her," I replied. "For now, I'll have to think how to relay this news to my wife," I murmured exhaustedly. 

She'll be devastated, and my gut churning. My head fuzzy, and I don't know where to begin.

One unfortunate event after another. What had I done to deserve these?

Just as the call disconnected, Jun was calling.

"Did you find her?" I asked without the customary greetings. My voice was rigid.

"I did!" I sat up, and grateful that today, there something good with all the unfortunate events that happened this week. "Where is she? And what is her intention?" I barked as I paced the room. Fury bubbling up in my system. 

"Do you know Paul Morgan?" Jun asked.

My body stiffened. 

"She's Miranda's cousin," I muttered softly, my mind transporting back to that night I was supposed to meet him, and also the time I found out they were related. 

I didn't really paid attention. Paul is Morgan too. That should gave away, but then, I was not really close to them.

"And lover," Jun added. I halted, all my attention focused on Jun's next words.

"How did she know? And what's her association with the Morgans?" I growled, scowling at the wall unconsciously. 

"Her name is Hani Morgan. He's  Paul's step sister, and kind of a cousin of Miranda, not by blood though," Jun replied swiftly.