Chapter 10: Smooth Sailing

"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

(Unedited)

Angelik's POV

"I never thought you'd catch him," Vicky whispered as Max's and Xandrous' back disappeared into the hallway leading into the dining room, kitchen, and the back of the house, the verandah.

"You didn't trust my allure?" I gasped, feigning affronted at her comment, while trying to control the bubbling laughter threatening to burst — at the hilarity of her comment — in my system.

Hello? I am Angelik Mailov. Not much of a beauty, but I do have a very charismatic character that not even cold satan could resist?!

Victoria burst into peals of laughter.

"One thing is for sure, dear, you are more than alluring," Vicky chuckled softly, and she winked at me before finishing her drinks. "But it's Max... I wonder if he sees every woman under his nose the same way any man should react or feel?" Victoria's lips quivered, suppressing her mirth.

"You mean..." I swallowed down the laughters, holding bit back before I could finish my words, "you thought he was?..." I paused, gauging a response that matched what was in my head.

"A gay?" Vicky prompted, one eyebrow shot up in the air. A teasing gleam on her eyes, with her lips trembled as she suppressed her mirth.

I released the laughter as I couldn't hold it back longer. Vicky joined me and the four corner of the room filled with boisterous noises, you think there was a party in the living room.

After we sobered up, Vicky spoke. 

"Well, he was very private if he ever dated one, but it seems his name has been pristine with the media. I mean with he hasn't linked with any one of the opposite sex," she rambled on, her shoulders shrugged in nonchalance. 

I laughed. Vicky was just shaking her head as she watched me with an amused look.

Turning my attention to the black screen of the TV, I was lost in my thought. 

What Vicky had said was true. And I know, the Demakis controlled the media. Perhaps, since he didn't like his life paraded to the public, he probably has one working for him to watch the social media twenty hours a day seven days a week, or maybe not. 

"So, what is your plan now?" Vicky asked, causing me to shift my eyes back to her, interrupting my thoughts.

The faint crinkles at the corners of her eyes disappeared as she turned serious.

"I guess we'll continue our lives just as it is," I said, not knowing what to say. We didn't really plan anything anyway. It just happened.

We had cleared up any confusion between Max and me. For now, I had no other things in mind than continue our life the way it is.

Nothing has changed, except that I don't feel guilty now whenever we do things only married couples do. I don't have to worry about my parents finding out about our odd relationship. 

"Did you and Xandrous plan anything after you married?" I inquired half-interested, and Vicky nodded her head.

I've never really known Vicky other than the rumors surrounding her. But then, I don't usually pay attention to gossip. I believe they are all hearsay and speculations.

"I don't want to have a baby first until I made a name for myself," Vicky explained, and I smiled.

Vicky's name has been rising, no sooner will be one of the most eminent names in the fashion industry, no doubt.