Prologue

The rain pattered down on Larva and Mosquito. Lightning crackled over Dragonfly Bay, and the freezing rain made them shiver. The SilkWing clutched an egg as they escaped Bloodworm Hive and its cruel labors. And Queen Wasp's control over who could love who. The HiveWing touched Larva's shoulder. "How's the egg?" Mosquito asked.

Larva looked at him with concern. "I think it may hatch soon."

"And the other?"

"It's new, Mosquito. It won't hatch too soon." Larva's antennae picked up something. "Mosq! I think we're being followed!" In the distance, a swarm of yellow, red, orange, and black arose. "Clearsight, help us," Larva whispered.

A HiveWing with blank eyes dove at them. Larva shrieked, clutching her egg. Mosquito put the egg he was holding in his pack and clawed at the HiveWing.

"Traitors are to be punished," Queen Wasp said through him. "Dirty SilkWing, trying to marry a HiveWing."

Mosquito flew into the swarm, fighting with incredible strength.

Larva began to feel tapping in the egg. She flew as fast as her wings would carry her and landed in a clearing of rocks, a hard task in the heavy sleet. Just in the nick of time, too, as a little dragonet snout poked through the egg. She had metallic yellow and black scales, four pink wings, and the cutest confused look on her face. "Nectar," Larva decided. "Mama's here."

Mosquito roared as more HiveWings joined the attack. One noticed Larva and dove at her. She clutched Nectar close to her as the white-eyed dragons tried to grab her. One looked at her with a blank face. She recognized this dragon! Gnat, a mean HiveWing guard who hated Larva. Her sister's Master. She felt bad for a lot of HiveWings being controlled, but she felt nothing but pure hate toward Gnat. Gnat had gotten her sister arrested. Her heart stung.

Gnat pinned the SilkWing against a rock while another grabbed Nectar.

"Mama, mama!" The dragonet cried. "Bababa foo!"

"No! Nectar! Don't hurt her!" Larva screamed. "MY DRAGONET!"

"That is for me to decide, and for you to find out."

"No! Please!" Larva lashed out with her silk, throwing it like a lasso, knocking Gnat against a rock, where he fell unconscious. She stared in awe at her talons.

The other HiveWing walked toward her, clawing at Nectar's scales. The baby screamed louder. Blood dripped from her scales. Larva snapped her attention back up. No! Nononononononono.

"No! Let go of her! Please!"

The HiveWing threw the dragonet against a wall, and Mosquito knocked him out from the back.

Larva ran to her fallen dragonet. She cradled Nectar's head. "Mama? Gagaga..."

Nectar was covered in blood, and her baby strength was draining. "No, no..." Larva sobbed. "Please, stay with me, baby. Nectar, please."

Nectar clung to Larva's finger. "Larva, look out!" Mosquito yelped.

Gnat was getting up. He smacked Larva down and grabbed Nectar. He stabbed at her with his burning toxin. Nectar wailed. Larva knew the toxin burned like you were on fire from being put on Misbehavior's Way, but she couldn't imagine it being put on a new dragonet. Wasp was a monster.

In one quick move, he snapped the dragonet's neck. Larva let out a cry and hit Gnat with all her strength. She wrapped her silk around his neck and pulled. Gnat's eyes flicked back to normal, bulging. He chocked, gasping for air. Larva pulled tighter, her anger fueling her. Gnat fell down, dead.

Mosquito and Larva ran to their dragonet's broken body. Larva sobbed. "Mosq..." She gulped air. "Is the other egg intact?"

He held out the second egg, and she held it to her chest. They flew out to the edge of Pantala, praying to Clearsight they had left Queen Wasp behind forever.