Chapter Nineteen

Pollen

"We have to contact Anasa," Zamia said in the morning. 

"What?!" Pollen exclaimed. "You're kidding."

"No, I'm not. If we're going to battle the gray dragon, we'll need an army. The LeafWings are--" Zamia choked on the word. "They're..."

"They are not dead, Zamia! They're just... prisoners. Of Wasp." Pollen's comfort was not working.

"Thanks? But the HiveWings are zombies, so we have to get the SilkWings to help us. That dragon has the strength of every dragon he's killed. And abilities, too. Plus, he has some connection to dear old Wasp. I can feel it."

"The SilkWings won't do it. They're pacifists," Pollen said.

"Not all. There's got to be some SilkWing rebellion!" Zamia argued.

"Yeah, but I can't send them to their deaths. They can't fight, Zamia. Not like the LeafWings and HiveWings."

"What about the SkyWings?" Pollen didn't know how long Garnet had been eavesdropping. "We're the best fighters on Pyhrria!"

"Not all RainWings are lazy," Celandine said softly. "Some might help us... and if we were fierce, our tribe could win wars."

"True. Invisible dragons that can melt your skin off," Garnet said. "Ooh, that sounds cool."

Celandine snorted. "Don't press your luck. I'll probably get three. At most. Hmmm... Grandeur... she's always angry about everything... but she's queen."

"So we maybe have a RainWing queen on our side, we maybe have SkyWings, and we have no way to contact the SilkWings. Great," Zamia grumbled.

"Point. I'll tell Queen Scarlet something, but she might not help us."

"Let's not forget that we are literally stranded in the desert!" Pollen reminded everyone. "We need to get to RainWing territory!"

"Why us?" Celandine asked. "Queen Grandeur might not be very happy if I bring a SkyWing and two strange dragons into the rainforest!"

"Well, the SandWings will kill us on sight. Scarlet doesn't sound like the kind of queen who will except Zamia and I, or even Celandine," Pollen said.

"Yeah," Garnet said. "She might be grumpier than me."

"Exactly. I don't think we'll be able to hang out in IceWing territory. MudWings either. I can't breathe underwater like a SeaWing. And no one knows where the NightWings are! The RainWings sound like pacifists, and I prefer fruit to meat," Pollen added.

Celandine groaned. "Fine. But If they dump you in quicksand, not my problem."

"You're so picky," Garnet complained. "Vegetarians are gross."

Celandine stuck her tongue at Garnet. 

"Not like we have any food. Or water. In the desert," Zamia muttered. 

"We can go now," Pollen said, giving Celandine a look that seemed to say Yes-we-are-going-do-not-question-me.

"The SkyWings are going to be so jealous. I get to hang out with my RainWing girlfriend and two weirdos!" Garnet exclaimed.

"Yeah... so jealous." Pollen rolled her eyes. 

Zamia sighed. "We'll see trees again. Finally."

Garnet snorted. "Cue the tree-lover obsessing over... trees."

"That sounded lame," Pollen said.

Garnet snorted fire. "Hmmph."

"No. Fire." Zamia said, gritting her teeth.