Chapter Fourteen

Arrowhead

Arrowhead stared in silence. It was Amazonite's funeral, and all he could think of was Pollen. Where had she gone? Why had she gone? His mind had been so filled he almost missed Lemongrass whispering his name. "Arrowhead?" 

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry about Pollen. Amazonite--" he hiccuped "Wasn't the only thing that happened..." tears sprang into his eyes. "We'll find Pollen."

"It's okay, Lemongrass." No. Nothing is okay.

Lemongrass gasped. Arrowhead flipped his head around, looking for the danger. His eyes locked with a pink and gold dragonet's eyes. They were pure white.

...

Celandine

Dreams plagued Celandine that night. She was in a cave. A pink dragonet was yelling at a gray dragon with red wings. A RainWing? But he didn't have the RainWing ears or fangs. Heliconia gasped. The dragonet had four wings. How was that possible? The gray dragon grabbed her talon and threw her against the cave wall. Celandine rushed to the strange dragon's side. Her eyelids fluttered. 

"Are you okay?" Celandine asked. "Pollen?" How do I know her name? I didn't mean to say that!

"Zamia, don't," Pollen whispered. Zamia? She turned to look at her wings. They were leaf-shaped. What is going on?!

"Yes, Zamia, don't," The gray dragon taunted. There was something vaguely familiar about him. "Wouldn't want to end up like poor Pollen." He shrugged. "Well, that's what you get for talking back."

Celandine touched Pollen's forehead. "Where're Redwood and Arrowhead when you need them?" She whispered. Redwood? Arrowhead?

"Zamia, you need to find a way out of here." Pollen's voice shook. 

"No. Not until you're safe." NO! Where am I? Why do I look weird?

"I can hear you," the gray dragon sang.

Celandine glared at him. "Shut up."

The gray dragon's eyes widened. "What trickery is this?" He roared. 

"Wha-what?" Celandine sputtered. What's he talking about?

"Your eyes," he hissed. "They changed color. They're pink."

My eyes are always pink! Then she remembered-- she was in this dragon--Zamia-- and Zamia didn't have her eye color. So why are my eyes the same? 

Celandine felt herself pulled from the cave. She sat up in her hammock with a start. Had it all been a dream? 

"Ugh, finally you're quiet." Her friend Tulip groaned. "'Are you okay? Pollen?'" She mocked. "I'm having an extra-long suntime today."

"You-you heard that?" Celandine asked. But Tulip was already asleep. 

...

Ginkgo

They threw Pyracantha into the cell with Ginkgo. Blood leaked from her wings, and a lump was forming on her head. Ginkgo rolled her over. "Pyracantha!" He whispered fiercely. "Please wake up!" She was breathing, but her heartbeat was faint. "Pyra!" 

"Ginkgo?" Pyracantha's voice was scarcely a whisper. "What...? Where're Pollen and Arrowhe..." she drifted off into sleep. Where were Pollen and Arrowhead? In this prison? He looked around, and horror dawned on him. Where was Zamia? He couldn't see his sister anywhere! 

"You!" A HiveWing guard snapped. "Get to sleep!"

Wasp stalked over to the two LeafWings. "I want her dead by morning, dragonet."

Ginkgo hurriedly lay down, his tail entwined with Pyracantha's. He hadn't realized how exhausted he was. What had the HiveWings done to him? He'd only been awake for an hour at most... he looked at his tail next to the sleeping Pyracantha. At the very tip, a glow of orange throbbed. He looked around again, realizing that all the LeafWings had a little orange glow somewhere. 

"Go to sleep!" Wasp roared. Ginkgo lay down and closed his eyes. 

A sickening thought came to him. No. There's no way. Ginkgo remembered the legend his father had whispered to him when he was barely one. No. If the HiveWings had done what he'd think they'd done, they would be unstoppable. 

So... a short chapter. I know. But I really want to save some things for the next chapter. Does anyone have an idea of what the HiveWings did to the LeafWings? Also, comment #Sleeptalker if anyone you know scolds you for talking in your sleep.

-FlameWing_Z