Chapter 30: running out of time

You fly around above hexside's sports field as Willow launches attacks at you.

You dodge them, casting attacks back at her.

She creates a much large swarm of vines that shoot towards you. You focus all your energy into a defense.

You block it and breathe heavily, landing back on the ground.

Hunter runs over to you and holds up an elixir.

"Y/n, we need to stop this training. You're exhausted!" Willow exclaims.

You shake your head, pushing the elixir away and stretching weakly.

"The day of Unity is in a little over 24 hours. I need to know how to defend myself and how to help!" You stutter.

Hunter grabs your hand. "Y/n, I know you're stressed about this. We all are. But if you're too exhausted, you won't be able to help at all." He says.

You sigh and look down, taking the elixir from him and drinking it to return to your normal state.

"I'm the oldest! It's my job to protect you guys! The owl house got swarmed by scouts because I wasn't there! Whatever I had of a family is now missing somewhere because I wasn't there! I need to keep you guys safe." You shakily breathe.

"We're taking a break. Give yourself an hour to rest, okay? Then we can keep working." Willow says.

She heads off into Hexside, leaving you and Hunter out on the field.

"Finally. Luz said I might be able to find you two here." You flinch at the sudden voice calling out behind you.

"Darius?" You and Hunter stutter, turning around to face him.

"Are Raine and Eber okay? Belos hasn't caught onto you guys, right?" You ask.

"Yes, yes, we're all okay. Although now that the owl lady and her party have joined us it has been insufferable." He groans.

"I'm sorry, what's going on here?" Hunter steps in between you and Darius, looking from one to another hoping for some answer.

"Surpriseee remember that group I was with while trying to break into Belos's mind? That was Raine, Darius, and Eberwolf!" You awkwardly smile.

Hunter blankly stares at you.

"Was I the only member of the coven who actually did their job without rebelling...?" He asks.

"By the way, Luz told us what you two saw in Belos's mind with her." Darius says.

Hunters eyes widen. "She did?" His voice breaks a bit.

"Yes. That he's a witch hunter, and what the draining spell will do, all of that." Darius replies.

Hunter seems to ease up a bit.

Does he not want people knowing he's a grimwalker...?

He hasn't really mentioned it since you found him again...

"Anyways, I'm running out of time here so I'll get to the point. Luz is going off to rescue her girlfriend and Eda and I picked you two to be her security escorts. It shouldn't be too dangerous of a mission. Just make sure she doesn't get hurt." Darius explains.

You nod. "We'll keep her safe."

Darius hands you a slip of paper saying where to meet her and he heads off.

You look over at Hunter.

"Are you okay?" You ask.

He looks at you and nods. "Yeah, I'm-"