Chapter 4.5: Memories-Refusal

Chapter 4.5: Refusal

"I am NEVER swimming again!" I holler, despite the relentless protests from both my parents and brother. Lying in a lumpy hospital bed, I shift myself into a more upright position before crossing my arms. "NOTHING any of you say can change my mind." My father, who is more disappointed in me than usual shakes his head before leaving, having become fed up with me in a matter of seconds.

"But you love to swim, Ami," my mother says, reaching for one of my hands to hold. I lean away from her, and stare at my lap.

"I LOVED to swim..." I mutter, before becoming silent. My mother tries to reason with me... She tries to inspire me... She tries to tell me that I shouldn't let one accident stop me from doing something I love. My brother, who has sat by my side for the past two hours remains silent, clearly worried but unsure of what to say. How would I be able to accurately describe it to them?

When I swam into the side of the pool...

When I hit my head...

Although I ended up becoming unconscious, for a few seconds I began to feel water pour into my mouth. I could feel the water start to gather in my lungs, forcing all of the life supporting oxygen out.

I

FELT

MYSELF

DROWNING

ONCE

AGAIN.

The painful memory of my the first incident involving a pool flashed before my eyes, causing my heart to beat rapidly, and my body to become shockingly hot with panic.

I

WAS

TERRIFIED.

The only thing scarier than drowning once is drowning twice.