Chapter 6.5: Memories-A Different Kind Of Drowning

I've nearly drowned so many times that I've nearly gotten use to it. I've nearly gotten use to the feeling of terror, of utter helplessness. 

This time, this time it isn't a large amount of water that is overwhelming me, pushing the air out of my lungs. This time it is pure emotion, an emotion so strong that it threatens to swallow me whole. More precisely, it threatens to become me, washing all the other emotions away. It threatens to leave me stranded on the beach of life, nothing but an old shell. 

THEY

ARE

DEAD. 

My sweet mother and brother are dead. They aren't sleeping or going on a trip. They are dead, gone forever.  

Grief becomes my companion. It refuses to leave me be, refuses to let me think. It refuses to let me do anything other than survive. 

Survive... How will I survive? 

Grief meanwhile stirs within me, and attempts to destroy me from the inside out. 

On the outside... 

On the outside I am throwing it all away. 

I'll throwing all of their possessions away, every painful reminder of them. The only thing I keep are pictures of them. 

Pictures... 

I have pictures of my mother and brother. 

I HAVE PICTURES OF DEAD PEOPLE.  

It feels wrong... 

THEY SHOULD BE ALIVE! 

If anyone should be dead... It should be me, the girl who has no idea what to do with her precious life.