Nothing But Fear

When I saw him I cringed. He leaned on one of the counter tops. "Hello Rachel." He said, not sounding nearly as mad as I thought he would I was surprised and said nothing. "Do you think I'm mad?" He asked with fake concern on his face.

"Yes." I practically whimpered.

"I'm not mad, hurt, yes." he fluttered his eyes like he always does when he's being an ass.

"Are you hungry?" The nurse asked.

"Yes." This time I sounded more confident.

"I'll see what I can get you." he smiled.

My dad just stood there. My mom next to me at the foot of the bed. Nothing was said for a long time, when the nurse came back with my food.

I pulled the top to reveal a hamburger. I looked at the side of the tray to discover a tomato and lettuce in a container. Also, mustard, ketchup, and mayo. When I bit into the hamburger, all I could feel was dry, old meat with some other things on it. The only thing I tasted was the mustard. The rest of it was tasteless. But I was hungry and it's been a long day, so I was going to eat it.

My mom pointed out that there was a bowl of pineapple on the side. "Yes! I LOVE pineapple!" I thought to myself. I indulged in the only taste on the entire tray besides my mustard. After I was done, they gave my mom my discharge papers. My dad looked at me and said "You didn't get what you wanted." Little did he know I did. I wanted as little to do with him as possible. I stood up and went home with my mom.