24

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

I walked through the bakery's front door after returning home from school. I kept my sight everywhere else except for papa. I nervously wondered if Mallorie is going to sneak back into her room or exploit that she escaped her room by walking through the front door.

Mallorie is unpredictable in that way. I never know what's going through her head.

If dad found out she did escape and was a school, he'll probably want to know why I didn't say anything or why I lied. Of course, he's keeping up a pretty good track record of his own secrets too. So, why do I feel somewhat guilty for wanting to hide Mallorie's escape?

"Welcome home, Marinette. How was your day at school?" dad asked me. Instantly, my memories replayed in a flash. From freaking out in front of the whole class to finding a rebellious sister at school, it was definitely not just a normal day at school.

Keeping a straight face, I shrugged my shoulders.

"Same old normal day at school," I lied. Dad raised an eyebrow, seemingly not getting the response he was looking for. He didn't say anything about it though.

"Well, I'm going to close down the shop early today so we can celebrate both you and your sister's birthday," he said. I blinked in slight surprise.

"You are?" I questioned. He smiled and nodded.

"Of course. This is the first time having both of you celebrate a birthday together. I...I never thought we would ever be able to..." dad trailed off with a melancholy tone in his voice.

"What does he mean by that?" I thought, "I need answers."

That's exactly what I'm going to do once I'm done talking to papa. I'm going to sneak into his room and search for anything that can lead or give some sort of answer. If he's not going to give them, then I'll find them myself.

   Yet, is this a good idea? I could be betraying papa's trust and doing what I think is right. For all I know, this could be the wrong choice.

   "Okay," I replied, feeling my stomach twist. I began to head up the stairwell. I want to find answers. It might help me understand Mallorie's situation better but there has to be a reason dad hasn't told us anything. I paused on the stairwell.

"Tikki? Do you think finding answers is the right choice? I think it is...but I can't just assume that it's the correct choice," I asked my Kwami. Tikki zipped out from my purse and floated at my eye level.

"Honestly, I don't know. Instead of assuming or thinking what the better choice is, when do you believe is the better choice," she asked.

"What does that mean?" I questioned, confused.

"What I'm trying to say is, do you believe your father would keep whatever it is a secret for no good reason?" She explained.

"No, I don't believe so," I replied.

"Then, trust that he does have a good reason and will tell you when you're ready to listen," my Kwami said.

She's right. I should trust that papa even if he did hide something this important. He's not a bad guy and isn't out to purposely hurt anyone. Although, I suppose he already did hurt me but hopefully for a good reason.

Tikki returned to my purse and I continued up to the apartment into my bedroom. I slip my bags off, setting my school bag on the floor and gently placing my purse on my desk. I slumped onto my desk chair and let out a sigh, closing my eyes.