26

Hey everyone! I just wanted to inform you that I'll probably be ending this book on chapter 30! I wanted to end it with the same amount of chapters as the last book so that's what I'll probably do.

Anywho, enjoy the chapter!

{+}{+}{+}

Alya's P.O.V

   As usual, I was researching. I continue to dig for answers and try to see the bigger picture—the entire story of Mallorie Dupain-Cheng. I don't want to jump to conclusions again. I've made that mistake many times and the last one was my biggest. I don't want to do that anymore, especially with the consequences that it gives.

   So, I've been doing extensive research. I've found articles, posts, and news reports.

   Yet, it still didn't add up to why Mallorie acts the way she does around her own blood. As far as I know, the Dupain-Chengs are as sweet as the desserts they bake. If I had to be adopted by anyone, I would be sure as lucky to be with them. But I'm not Mallorie. She has different ideas and purposes.

   She can't have grown into this resentment without planting a seed. There has to be a start and reason for her hatred. I'm sure over the years it's developed due to bad treatment but it usually begins somewhere.

   "Maybe, it has something to do with her parents? But why would Mallorie hate Marinette if they're the same age? Marinette has never said anything about a sister, which gives me the idea that she didn't even know of Mallorie's existence. So...why? Why did Mr. and Mrs. Dupain-Cheng put Mallorie in the system at all and in an American one of them all?" I thought, letting out an aggravated sigh.

   This cycle of questions or answers leading me to more questions is not helping.

   "What am I missing?" I added in my mind, staring down at my notebook with notes and theories written down, "There has to be something I haven't found. I would ask Mr. Dupain but I have a feeling I won't get answers. It seems like a private and personal matter that he wouldn't want to talk about with Marinette's ex-best friend (if he even knows about that)."

   A thick vanilla folder suddenly lands on top of my notebook and knocks me out of my head. I snap my neck up to see Chloe and Sabrina with smug smiles on their faces. I raised an eyebrow, glancing from them to the folder and then back.

   "What is this?" I asked.

   "Oh, you know..." Chloe spoke, checking out her nails like it was no big deal, "...just finding all of Mallorie's documents, certificates, papers, and blah blah blah. Reporter nerd stuff and such. Nothing much."

    "What?!" I exclaimed, standing from my seat with wide eyes. I notched my voice down into a hiss-like whisper, "Chloe! This is illegal! How did you even get this?"

    "I'm the mayor's daughter. I can get whatever I want," Chloe said, flexing her name as usual. I gave her an unimpressed look.

   "Sabrina got this, didn't she?" I deadpanned. Chloe's lips thinned out and looked away in embarrassment.

   "Maybe she did..." Chloe admitted before quickly adding, "...but how the ugly folder was obtained doesn't matter so long as we got it and helps."

   I looked at Sabrina for answers. Obviously, her father is a cop but noting the American flag on the folder, I highly doubt Roger has the power to get these nor would he break the law. So, how did she get the folder?

   Sabrina sheepishly scratched the side of her cheek.

   "I have an uncle in America, Paul Raincomprix, who was coincidentally assisting on Mallorie's case along with other children in that situation. I managed to convince him to send Mallorie's papers," Sabrina explained. I perked up, intrigued by whatever "that" was.