4 || An Anticipated Moment

The Friday lunch rush brought out the best and the worst in people. On one hand there there those who worked their way through lunch, and on the other hand there were those who trampled over any and everyone to get their hands on grub. Houston was a city of extremes, no middle grounds.

And this is why I always stay in the office, Fabiana mused bitterly, shoving a stranger that crashed into her as she walked the block and a half from the DA's office to a salon where she'd made an appointment to get her nails done. You'd think none of these people had jobs. They turn into beasts on Fridays.

The humid heat blew past her face, blooming a grimace on her mouth that stuck until she stepped into the nail parlour with a welcoming smile for the icy gust that hit her neck. The front desk lady recognised her immediately and wrote down her attendance to her appointment.

"That time of the month already, huh?" She smiled at Fab and motioned to the station where her nail tech was prepping. "Tia's ready for you."

"Gracias, Marisela. Say hi to your mother for me." Fab smiled and made her way to the station where her nail tech smiled up at her brightly. "Como estás, bella?"
(How are you, beautiful?)

"Aquí en la lucha. My sister's knocked up again." Tia grimaced, thinking of the extra child she'd have to babysit for her little sister. "She's trying to kill me."
(So so)

"Jesus. What's this, baby number four?" Fab settled in and placed her fingertips in the soak tray to get her nails prepped.

"Three. She says she wants two more before she's packing up her eggs."

"Couldn't be me." Fabiana shook her head, and her nail tech agreed. "How's her husband?"

"Good! He landed a job at Farrow Inc. as a surveyor for their expansions. Esta haciendo buco plata. More than enough to take care of that army he's breeding." Tia pulled one of her hands from the soaking solution and began removing the gel polish from it. "What do you want done today?"
(He's making a ton of dough)

Fabiana told her the style she was after and settled back to watch her work her magic. It was a habit she indulged in to get her nails done twice a month. She'd get a manicure first, then a pedicure and by the time she was done, she'd be back at her office just as her lunch hour ended.

The woman bit her lip absentmindedly as her nail tech spoke about some gossip she was only half heartedly listening to. Her mind was on one thing and one thing only.

Five hours until I have to get ready. Seven hours until I see him and finally lose my virginity.

She hated admitting that she was excited. She thought of him, and how he looked the last time she saw him. She thought of his voice and his accent, and the way he'd looked at her like he wanted to devour her when they'd had dinner together. Fabiana wasn't clingy, nor was she desperate, but she couldn't help but wonder if it would just be sex.

A man his age would've been in a relationship already. The fact that he isn't shows he's just after wine, women and song. That's just as well; I'm not looking for anything more either.

Fab made a note to herself that when the twenty-four hours were up, she'd thank him and leave quietly, then never speak to him again. She wouldn't get attached over a few hours of tumbling and conversation. She knew better than that.

Exactly forty-something minutes later, Fabiana was walking back up the block to her office with translucent deep red almond shaped acrylics and matching red toes. She flexed her nails in the sunlight and smiled at the way the subtle shimmer in them almost made it seem like the colour was moving like a thick, red liquid.