9 || A Swift Capture

Isaiah hadn't worried about many things in life. He knew there was always a solution to everything and that was enough to make him feel at ease with most things. With Fabiana on his hip, that was a different matter altogether.

She was in her element, of course, looking around and quickly drawing conclusions at the speed of light which, honestly, left him perplexed most of the time. She'd look at a person for all of ten seconds and immediately deduce what they did for work, any health problems and emotional state. Her clinical eye beat his by a long shot, and Isaiah had always fancied himself a very keen observer.

Of course, all this genius from Fabi only made him that much more attracted to her. There wasn't a day when he didn't just stop and admire how beautiful she was, or how intelligent she was, or how fast she was at finding solutions to seemingly impossible problems.

The risin' star of Houston, indeed, he thought one day, sitting across from her in a coffee shop and watching her explain to him why the barista was an aspiring poet. She'd be a great asset to the CIA.

"And the dent in their middle finger suggests long hours of writing but that's not the tell. Any student in a strenuous profession would have that dent. The tell is the necklace, see? The inscription. It was obvious."

"Would you ever join the Agency?" He asked, picking up his bitter black coffee and taking a sip. "You'd be a great analyst."

"No way." She shook her head. "I'm happy in the DA's office. Once you're out of the CIA you're never truly free. Someone's always watching."

He hummed, agreeing with her. He didn't have the same intel as agents of a higher rank but he'd been sent on hunts that revealed a little too much information and he knew they'd tail him the rest of his life for it.

His phone pinged with a text message, and he turned it over to check the notification that had come through. Traffic cam footage showed that the man they were after was a few blocks away, and he straightened quickly, throwing money on the table before beckoning Fabi to follow him.

"What's going on?" She shuffled after him, her heels clicking on the pavement as she rounded the car. As much as he loved watching her strut in her high heels, Isaiah regretted not having a change of shoes for her in the car. He doubted she could run in those things, considering how tall they were.

"He's been spotted not far from here. Look." He handed the phone over and let her look at the incoming images that kept popping up on the screen.

"I know this place. La Avenida central. Take the first left at the intersection, it's a shortcut." She pointed toward a corner and he followed her instruction. "A right up here. Go straight. Okay now there's a pedestrian bridge and a bus stop. You're going to take a left right after the bridge."

Isaiah followed her guidance faithfully, scanning the streets for a familiar face as he drove. Fabi ordered him to stop and took a look at the phone again before checking her surroundings.

"This is it. Do you know where he is?" She turned to look at him, and when he shook his head she unbuckled her seatbelt, reaching down to cross her bag over her body. "Come with me."

They stepped out of the car, Isaiah following a bit behind her to scan the area as she made her way toward an open bakery. He glanced at her and stifled a groan, trying to keep his mind on the mission and off his stiffening cock.

The humid wind blew up the short white skirt Fabi's sundress a bit, showing off the tops of her thighs as she walked. He jerked his gaze up and away from her, mentally chanting that he was a professional and needed to act like one.