18 || Pastor of the Flock

"Remember to be nice," mama said as she put the lasagne in the oven. "He's a sensitive man so don't hurt his feelings."

"We won't." Rhea smiled and gulped her juice. If there was one thing mama was known for, it was always having multiple jugs of juice in the refrigerator at a time.

"We just want to talk." Fab shrugged, pouring herself her own glass. "Nice n' easy."

"You sound like you're about to shoot him, Bia," Rhea snickered, earning a shrug from her friend.

"If I have to."

"Fabiana!" Mama chided, smoothing her hands over her floral dress. She'd dressed up once she'd made the sauce for the layered meal, making both young women raise their eyebrows at her.

Her long, brown hair was in gentle waves down her back and held back at the sides by two gold clips Rhea had gifted her on one of her birthdays. She had makeup on, something the girls hadn't seen since they graduated law school, and her usual cheap jewellery was replaced by the expensive ones both Fab and Rhea had given her over the years.

A Cartier tennis bracelet sat on her left wrist, courtesy of Fabiana's first lawyer pay check.

"You look beautiful, mama." she reassured her mother, sending her a smile.

"It's not too much?" Mama asked, running her hands again over her dress. The black fabric with big blue flowers hugged her upper body just right and flared out at her hips, ending a bit below the knee. She looked stunning.

"It's perfect. He'll love it." Rhea squeezed her shoulder and mama patted her hand, taking a deep breath.

"You girls look lovely too." She smiled, looking at them both.

Rhea had changed into some dark jeans and blouse, dressed chic as she always did. Fab, on the other hand, had kept her shorts but only changed into a sleeveless blouse and sandals.

The doorbell cut their sweet moment short, stunning them all into a surprised silence.

"He's early!" Mama whisper yelled, checking her watch. "Ay Dios mío, what do I do?!"

"I'll get the door," Fab offered quickly, making a 'shoo' motion with her hands and heading toward the entry of the house. She reached the door and pulled it open, fully expecting a Santa Claus looking man with a big belly.

She was pleasantly surprised to find a tall, lean middle aged man with fluffy black hair and a broad smile. He's handsome, she thought, stepping out into the doorstep and closing the door behind her rather than letting him in. A flash of confusion braced his face but he kept his smile and stuck out his hand.

"Hi, I'm Jeremiah Davis. You must be Fabiana, right? Janina talks about you all the time."

She nodded slowly, shaking his outstretched hand and eyeing him suspiciously. He has kind eyes, she noted, but that didn't shake her suspicion.

You know who else had kind eyes? That serial killer nurse.

"Pleased to meet you, finally. How long have you known my mother?" She withdrew her hand and got straight to the point. Jeremiah sputtered a bit, but quickly recovered with a chuckle.

"Janina said you were straightforward. We met three years ago at an evangelistic campaign."

"Do you think you make her happy?"

He didn't miss a beat. "I think so, but I won't stop trying every day to make her happier," he said with conviction. She was pleased with his answer.

"So you plan on dating her for longer, then?" One of her eyebrows rose. The door opened again behind them and Rhea joined them, holding a hand out and introducing herself.