7 || A Brand New Case

Fab hadn't heard from Isaiah in two weeks.

After the most romantic twenty-four hours of her life, he drove her home and kissed her softly by her door before bidding her goodnight. Fabiana fell asleep in an empty feeling bed that night, and every night since then. The next morning, she'd texted him a thank you note for the wonderful time he'd shown her. He never replied.

The woman moved on from the issue in stride, though she couldn't help but feel a little hurt. Her logic wouldn't allow her to feel rejected though. After all, he hadn't promised her anything beyond what he came through with, so she really had no reason to feel hurt.

Rhea, on the other hand, couldn't stop cursing his existence. She gushed for days over Fab's retelling of the events, only to turn sour when her best friend told her he'd ghosted her. Fabiana paid her no mind.

She focused heavily on her work, slamming two convictions back to back in court and handling a lawsuit against the city like a pro. She'd received a fat bonus for that one.

On a particularly sunny Thursday afternoon, Fab had just returned to the DA's office from her bi-monthly trip to the nail salon with a brand new mani-pedi. Her short almond nails were a light glossy cream colour, and her ring finger on both hands had a newspaper clipping stamped on the nails. It was a beautiful set, and she was happy with it.

"Bia, I have news. Oo, cute nails!" Rhea held her hands to her face to inspect the artwork before refocusing and pulling her friend toward her office. "I have news and I'm telling you first so you won't implode when you see it."

"Rhea, breathe." Fab allowed the blonde to tug her into her office before she closed the door behind them. Her best friend took a deep breath and sighed, staring at Fabiana with big eyes.

"Isaiah's here. The DA is going to make you work together on a case. I overheard something about Panama." The blonde gripped her friend's shoulders and gave her a sincere look. "I'm telling you so that it's not a surprise later."

"Okay, calm down." Fabiana laughed and hugged her friend, ignoring the pang in her chest. "It'll be fine. Thank you for telling me."

Her best friend hugged her and left her after that, making the silence in her office wash over her nerves like a weighted blanket. Her feelings disappeared, the world disappeared, and it was just her and her analytical brain as she sat at her desk to work.

It was a case of a mother going against every natural maternal instinct. She'd been sitting in jail for two years and her kids were in foster care. Fabiana clicked her tongue, pulling out her notepad and writing down the charges the prosecution could bring against the defendant according to the evidence.

Kidnapping, torture, second degree murder... I'm going to have to interview the kids. This could easily warrant an insanity plea.

She pulled up her computer and searched the state's registry for the foster homes where the woman's kids were staying, writing down the names and addresses of each one so she could get to it as soon as possible.

She had just pressed the sticky notes to a page in her notepad when a knock came to her door. Her eyes flickered to the clock on her desk just as she called for the person to enter. She'd been working for an hour and a half. The DA's smiling face and round glasses poked into her space, followed by his round body and the taller body of a man behind him.

Isaiah. Her breath hitched.

"Miss Miracruz," DA Wilder said pleasantly. She smiled nicely at him and stood up, smoothing her hands over her dress. "This is Agent Isaiah Farrow, he's a private investigator with the CIA."