12 || Investigative Hunches

The downpour of rain that greeted Houston residents on Tuesday morning was a welcome intermission to the stifling summer heat. Fabiana woke up to fat droplets of water beating on her windows and the news on her phone that Senator Spent had been arrested in Panama by the CIA for attempting to sell government secrets. Later she was told that his trail would take place in two years time.

The woman smiled to herself as she made her way into the police station, the sharp clicking of her heels being dulled out by the rain beating down incessantly on the pavement. It'd been raining to three hours, and by the looks of things it wasn't going to stop any time soon.

"They might put out a flood warning," Freddie said seriously, handing her a cup of coffee. "If this keeps up we'll be told to stay inside."

"I hope not," Fab replied sombrely. "Some of us have places to go and people to see."

"The only place you go and people you see are prosecutors at the district office, Bia." Freddie rolled his eyes. "You've been a homebody since I've known you," he said in reference to their college days. Fabiana gasped, offended.

"That is actually not true at all. I went to parties all the time in college." She started listing the parties she'd attended—at least the ones she could remember. "I went to all of Gamma Delta Phi's parties my junior year, Alpha Epsilon Omega, Omega Theta Omega, Carson Whittaker's parties almost always saw my face, too."

"And you drank like a trucker at every one." Freddie smirked at her teasingly. "You're the only person I know who can chug a bottle of tequila and remain standing like nothing happened."

"Don't remind me; I'm surprised my liver's still intact." Fab finished her coffee and threw away the cup. "I cut back on my drinking."

"One bottle of wine a day or the equivalent of doesn't constitute cutting back, Fabiana."

Fab smacked his shoulder, sending him a heated glare as he cackled. She pushed her way past him and waited in the interrogation room as he went to go fetch the woman she was going to question with him.

The woman's face fell when she saw Fab, and she sighed deeply as she sat across from her in the seat, her lawyer right beside her. "What do you want? I told you everything."

"I'm just here to clear some things up, Miss Muller. Keep in mind that I need you to be honest so we can clear things up."

"Okay," the woman nodded.

"How long did you know Mr. Ian Lambert?"

"Five years."

"How did you know him?"

"We worked together."

Fab sat back and let Freddie take over with the questions, writing down notes as she saw fit.

"What were your corresponding roles at your job?"

"Don't answer that," the defence attorney snapped, glaring at Freddie. "This isn't relevant."

"You can either tell me right now or I can call your workplace and find out anyway. I'm giving you a chance to save face, Miranda." Freddie shrugged.

"He was my manager."

"Assuming that it didn't go against company policy, how long did your affair with him last?"

The woman sighed, exasperated. "Three years."

"Was it consensual?"

"Don't answer that," her lawyer snapped again, but she ignored him.

"Of course it was consensual. Ian was a kind, generous man. He would never abuse his power!"