Kabanata 5

"How are you doing with Jerson, hija?" Mom asked while we were having a dinner. Nilingon din ako ni Dad, kuryoso din sa isasagot ko.

I chewed the steak firmly. "Ayos lang po. He said he wanted to see me at my gig next week."

Ngumiwi si Mommy.

"That's good, hija."

Mom just rolled her eyes. "What did he say about your new hair?"

"He didn't notice, Mom. Wala naman masyadong nabago. It looks the same."

"Ugh. So he didn't compliment you?" she dropped her utensils to wipe her mouth.

"He said I look good."

She sipped on her wine. "Good's not enough. Impress him more."

"Well, mom, he's amazed about my band."

"Oh, pity you..." she sarcastically said.

Sumimsim ako sa tubig. I know she's not really a fan of what I do. She always said that it doesn't have the 'class' that she wants. Dad was supportive but I couldn't help but to just focus on my mother's disagreement.

"I'm sure he's very impressed, hija. You're pretty and talented."

Ngumiti ako kay Daddy. I kept the mourning face at the back of my head. My father has been a great supporter aside from my brother.

Mom didn't stop setting me up with boys. Hindi ko alam kung kailan siya mapapagod doon. Hindi naman siguro ako mawawalan ng lalaki.

I was supposed to go to our band practice tonight. Iyon ay bago pa ako hilain ni Mommy sa isang party.

I attended some parties before. But that was when I was young, my mother wasn't still very humiliated at me that time. Ngayon, hindi na ako dumadalo. It's not that I like it, anyway. Maikli lang ang pasensya ko sa pag-eentertain sa mga tao.

I wore a simple silver dress and black platform. Tinali ko ang buhok ko sa isang messy bun at nilagyan lang ng pulang lipstick ang labi. My mother was of course, shining through her white designer dress. Matalim ang tingin niya sa akin habang naka-dekwatro ako ng upo sa malawak na sofa.

"Is Dad not coming with us?" I asked and stood up.

She was carrying her Prada pouch. Pinupunasan niya ang gilid ng labi dahil sa kakaunting lampas ng pulang lipstick.

Ngumiwi ako. My mom rocks red lipstick. Me? I only wear shades of pink or nothing. Red is too intimidating. It's bold and not really for me.

"No. So you should behave. Kung sakali, ako lang ang pahihiyain mo doon."

Tumalikod siya. I rolled my eyes. Oh, I would if I want to.

We arrived at the venue. It was held in a fancy event hall. My mom was mumbling about the things I shouldn't and I should do. Balak niya yata akong gawing product sa auction niya. Umirap akong muli.

I was behind my mother while she was greeting her friends. Tuwid ang tayo ko habang papasok sa hall. It was well-designed. The theme was white and gold. I didn't know exactly what the party was for, probably about business openings or something.

"Goodness, hija! How long has it been?" a woman in her late 40's greeted me.

Mommy smiled. Inakay niya ako sa tabi niya. "Nichoella has been busy with her studies. Wala ang Daddy niya ngayon kaya siya muna ang isinama ko."

"I heard you're into bands, hija."

Napanis ang ngiti ni Mommy. She looked at me and smiled sarcastically.