chapter 17 - royal merchant search

Heyward called Pope and JJ back for another job, but it didn't need me so the boys dropped me off at John B's house.

When I get there, John B is getting ready to go surfing so I decide to join him. We go out to the beach with our surfboards and start surfing.

After catching a few waves, the ocean becomes calm and gentle so we just sit on our boards and relax.

"Hey, uh, do you remember... w-when you kissed me?" I ask, stuttering a little.

"Yeah. Yeah, I remember." John B replies, a little awkwardness appearing in his voice.

"Did you tell JJ?" I question quickly.

"Um... I had to. I mean, Pogues don't lie to Pogues, right? And plus, JJ just laughed at me because you shot me down, so.." John B answers.

I scoff loudly. "I didn't shoot you down. I mean, it was really bad timing. You were freaking out, right?"

"Yeah. Yeah, no, I.. I was freaking out. I was freaking out." John B nods. "Why do you ask?"

"Um..." I gulp. "N-No reason. I-It doesn't matter. I was just wondering."

"Okay." John B sighs and shrugs it off.

"Hey! Save some waves for us!" JJ's recognisable voice shouts out. John B and I turn our heads to where the voice came from and see Kie, JJ and Pope all running into the water with their surfboards.

"Oh, hey, guys!" I exclaim.

The three of them jump onto their boards and join us.

Many waves start forming again and we try to catch them all. This is one of the best surfing trips we've ever had.

There's nothing more special than this.

Hanging with my friends. Perfect beach, perfect waves. Nothing could make this afternoon better.
-
Later that evening, we all sit on the hammocks in the dark, the only light being the full moon.

"You really think that it's out there?" Pope asks. "Like, no bullshit?"

"My father thought it was." John B replies.

"But do you?" Pope asks again.

"After hearing his voice on that tape... I think I do." John B answers. I can hear the small smile in his voice.

"Only one way to find out." Pope adds, before doing the Pogue handshake with John B.

"Look, we're gonna find it, you know? Even JJ believes." I speak with a shocked, but joking, voice.

"Oh my god, JJ, do you really believe?" John B asks with the same tone as me, and extremely sarcastic.

"Totally! Wait. Are we talking about 5 mil?" JJ responds, not having a clue what the conversation is about.

"Five hundred mil." Pope and Kiara correct.

"Jinx." Kiara adds shortly after.

"I'm gonna dream about shipwrecks." JJ comments, rolling onto his back and laying down on his hammock. "Goodnight, Bird!"

"Goodnight, Bird Shit!" John B replies back.

We all lay down on our hammocks comfortably.
-
The next day, the weather is way better so we take this as our opportunity to use the underwater camera.

We convinced Pope to take his Dads boat, since our HMS Pogue one is too small. It took a lot of work but Pope finally agreed.

After gathering all the equipment, we drive out to the clear, quiet, peaceful ocean.