Chapter 9

Isaac

I was staring at her for some unknown reason as she laid on the bed sleeping peacefully.

I've had lots of women sleep beside me after I've made love to them but never a woman like her ; I cannot touch her or be with her, and even though we're husband and wife on paper, in reality we're far from that and I don't intend to change it.

I think it's ironical how I've gotten stuck in this web that she spun to elevate herself in the society. The disgust she showed me when I tried to touch her and the way she stood up for her dead lover was enough to make me believe that this woman married me for money and money only.

I do feel guilty for behaving poorly with her, trying to touch her without consent and going through her phone in secret isn't exactly something I'm proud of, the hurt I saw in her eyes when I accused her of having an affair with a guy who's already dead and who apparently was the love of her life still makes me feel uneasy.

I thought I had the upper hand after I found those photos of her kissing some guy, I thought maybe proving that she loves someone else would be enough to get rid of her but that didn't turn out to be the case, unfortunately.

I hate this woman yet here I was staring at her sleeping figure not out of lust but out of curiosity, everytime I think I've figured her out she goes on and surprises me, she was quite obedient in the beginning but has found a voice of her own since yesterday and I can tell she's got a smart mouth - a sign of her cunningness I guess.

Her eyes flutter a little and I could see a faint smile appear on her face, but when she finally opened them and realised who was standing infront of her she shrieked.

"I prefer my mornings to be silent" I said creating some distance between us, she was staring at me like I'm some monster.

"And I prefer to not have people watch me while I sleep" she snapped and I just looked at her, a little baffled by her boldness.

She seemed to have realised something as her eyes went wide and she got out of the bed immediately "Shit I'm so sorry you had to sleep on that uncomfortable couch because of me, I had no idea I'd fall into a deep sleep, Christine was supposed to wake me up when she brought my juice but I guess she forgot about it, I'll go and have a talk with her" she rambled and was about to walk away when I stopped her by grabbing her wrist, she froze on the spot.

I motioned towards the glass of juice that was sitting on the nightstand "Christine did bring your juice" I said and sighed inwardly before continuing "And I didn't sleep on the couch, the bed is big enough for the both of us" and with that I saw how her cheeks turned red as she looked at me in disbelief, and before she could say anything in protest I walked out of the room.

I don't want her to make a big deal out of it, we just slept on the same bed, that's all... it's not like we did something we shouldn't have done. It's just that I felt guilty and so when I came back and saw her sleeping on the bed I didn't try to wake her up thinking she must be exhausted with the events of the day.

Ethan on the other hand is going to take her out for lunch today like he promised to and I couldn't say no to him because he already has his doubts about our marriage, if I said no his doubts will be confirmed... I just hope she keeps her mouth shut infront of him.

_________________

I went to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water for myself when I saw her, she was doing something and her back was turned to me.

She seemed to have sensed someone was there "Ethan are you and your big brother brave enough to eat spicy food?" she asked turning around with a knife in her hand and a broad smile on her face, she was chopping vegetables but she looked like a serial killer, an attractive one.

Her face dropped as she realised it was me "Brave enough to eat spicy food?" I asked raising an eyebrow at her.

"No I... um... it was... I mean the question was meant for Ethan only" she stammered.

"And what about Ethan's big brother?" I asked enjoying the show she's putting up against me and in her defense... I had to bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from smiling.

"A slip of the tongue, yes yes.... that's what it was" she tried to explain.

"Why are you cooking?" I asked to change the subject and save her from further embarrassment.

"Because I wanted to.... I get so bored in this big house, all I do is make trips to the huge library you have, read books and do absolutely nothing" she said putting the knife down "You don't have to eat the food I prepare, I'll ask Christine to make something for you" she added.

"Why?" I asked leaning against the doorframe as she watched me with those big brown eyes of hers.

"Because I know you wouldn't want to" she said with a heavy sigh and went back to chopping vegetables.

"I can manage... for today" I declared as I walked towards the refrigerator and opened it.

"Really?" she asked turning towards me once again and I nodded.

Taking the bottle of water I intended to take from the moment I stepped inside this kitchen I walked out in a hurry.... everytime I look at her I'm reminded of what happened between us yesterday, the mistakes I made in the heat of the moment.