Chapter 16

Amber

It's been five days since grandma left us and I was staying with my mother for the week... the funeral went well, Phil, Ethan and even Elle came to support me and mom but Isaac didn't even care to show up, his excuse was that he had an important business trip that can't be delayed or missed so there's that. Grandma died from suffering a sudden cardiac arrest, she was one of a kind though, she loved me more than her own daughter and that at times made mom quite jealous, we used to have so much fun together, she was so excited to see me getting married and wished to see her great-grandchildren being born soon... only if she knew the truth.

"Sweetie can I talk to you about something?" I heard my mom say and I blinked a few times before coming back to my senses "Huh?"

"I wanted to talk about something important" she stated and I nodded.

She sat down opposite to me, she seemed nervous "I don't know how to say or rather ask about something so personal, I know it's hardly been a month" she said.

"Mom can you please get straight to the point" I requested and she nodded, I could see the motherly concern in her beautifully ageing eyes, she pressed her lips into a thin line before finally opening her mouth again, I could tell she was nervous.

She took my hand in hers and sighed "Is Isaac treating you well?" she asked calmly.

I gave her a small nod, I hate lying to her but I can't tell her the truth, not now atleast, she's already going through a lot and I don't want to add more to her problems... she has lost both her life partner and mother in the span of two months and that's a lot for anyone to handle.

"Mom the business trip was really important for the company's upcoming project, Isaac didn't want to go but I insisted he should... him staying back wouldn't have brought grandma back so-" she cut me off and patted my head gently.

"It's okay honey, I understand that, I would never want my son-in-law to suffer loss in his business... it's just that I'm worried about you" she said and I shook my head.

"Mom I'm completely fine, trust me" I tried to convince her but it didn't work "Look at yourself Amber, have you seen yourself in the mirror lately?" she asked.

"Mom please, let's not go there, I know I've lost some weight but that doesn't have anything to do with Isaac or his treatment of me... believe me" I tried my best to reason with her and she sighed heavily.

"I know you think you'd burden me with your problems if you were to share them with me but I'm your mother Amber, I know you're going through something but I won't force you here" she said and I felt my heart shatter, the look of disappointment on her face made me feel like I'm the most horrible daughter in this world.

"I want you to know that you can talk to me about anything... take your time, and when you're ready I'll be there to listen" she said and that was it for me, my tears betrayed me and I got up from my seat to hug my mother, she wrapped her arms around me and I know she too was crying, neither of us spoke a word but it was like we both knew what we wanted to say to each other, we stayed like that for only God knows how long before the doorbell interrupted our embrace.

"I'll get it" I said breaking our embrace and bouncing back on my feet, I hurried towards the door.

I unlocked the door with one hand and opened it whilst wiping away the remnants of my tears with the other, I didn't want anyone to see me like this.

"I thought I'd get a better welcome than this" he said and I blinked furiously to see if I'm hallucinating or something, but I wasn't, it was indeed him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in a rather harsh tone, he's the last person I wanted to see right now.

"That's not the proper way to welcome your husband" he said and stepped inside completely ignoring my question.

My mom came out and was taken by surprise, ugh the timing was so bad, we were just talking about him and he had to appear.

"Oh wow, what a pleasant surprise" she said as soon as her eyes landed on Isaac and they exchanged greetings where Isaac also apologized for not being there at my grandma's funeral before we all sat down in the living room, Isaac was extremely polite to my mother and that made me feel good, atleast he was treating my mother with respect.

"So what brings you here?" I asked as the three of us sat down and my mother gave me a deathly glare as if saying 'where are your manners?'

"To take you home" he stated nonchalantly.

"What?" I asked in surprise but instead of answering me, he turned to my mother "I'm so sorry for acting selfish here but I need her at home tomorrow, my aunt is visiting us for the weekend and she really wants to see Amber" he said and my mom nodded, I could see the sadness in her eyes though, she'd be all alone and I don't want that, I want to stay here with her, I want to be there for my mom.

"Maybe some other time Isaac, I don't think I can leave mom alone in this situation, she needs me" I reasoned and he sighed.

"It's okay, I understand-" he was about to give in when mom just had to open her mouth.

"Oh no it's alright, you can take her with you, I'll be fine... what's done can't be undone and I'll have to learn to live with it" she said and I took in a deep breath, the thought of going back to my husband's prison spoiled my mood entirely. I wasn't happy with what mom did either, if she's smart enough to sense that there's something wrong between me and Isaac then she should be smart enough to not let me go to his place so soon. I was angry at both of them.

"I'll go pack then" I stood up and went upstairs, I was so angry right now, if I stayed here I'd say something I will regret later.