11

Rider stretched and laid on the dirt ground, removing his helmet and claw-like gloves to ruffle his fluffy brown hair. He was tired from all this socializing. He grumbled as Toothless seemed to run about, though the remaining bit of sunlight hit Rider just right enough to sunbathe. Rider let out a long sigh as he relaxed, finally being somewhere at least a little familiar to him. He hated talking, especially to people. But he made the exception for Berk as they seemed to be on good terms for the moment. Just as sleep was about to take him, he heard footsteps and immediately grabbed his retractable sword, standing to guard himself. He looked at Astrid who held her hands up in defense. Rider groaned as he put his weapon away and sat back down.

"Was there a reason for that?" She asked as she stood not to far from him. He could feel her staring at him, this made him rather uncomfortable so he laid down and turned his back towards her.

"Yeah." He responded as he let the sun relax him again. Toothless happily marched over to Astrid who pet him, the Night Fury purred at her.

"I understand. Why aren't you leaving?" She asked.

"Tired."

"Am I going to get a normal conversation?" She asked looking down at him.

"No."

"You're really childish." She said, Rider sighed as he sat up and glared at her.

"What do you want?" He asked in return, she smiled at him.

"You're not annoying like the others are. Apart from Fishlegs really. I usually hide in the forest anyway and just so happened to find you." She replied with her smile remaining on her face.

"You're annoying." He said before yawning.

"That's mean." She said, "so what are you doing?"

"Well I was going to nap, care to join me?" He said as he played a smile on his face.

"Sure." She said as she sat not too far from him and laid down. He stared at her for a moment before laying down again, not expecting her to have agreed that easily. They laid there for a long time in silence, the sky growing darker and darker. Eventually stars lit up the sky and Rider had been unable to sleep the whole time. He sat up to look down at Astrid who peacefully slept next to him. He didn't understand how she did it. He felt uncomfortable sleeping next to a stranger, he's been this way since Drago. People made him uncomfortable no matter how kind they were. He knew false kindness from the start. Soon, Astrid woke as Rider sat on a rock.

"You should head back home. It's late and I'm sure they're worried." Rider said to her as he cooked a fish, Toothless had brought food back. Astrid sat up and yawned while she stretched out her arms.

"They'll be fine." She said as she moved to pet Toothless who happily nuzzled her hand. He watched her before an idea struck him. 

     "Would you like a dragon?" He asked tilting his head, she immediately shook her head.

     "Absolutely not, Stoick would probably end my bloodline." She said, this confused him.

    "Why would he?" He asked, Astrid sighed softly.

    "He's against dragons completely. He wasn't happy helping you but he did anyway. For the benefit of Berk." She said, Rider felt disappointed for some reason and Astrid could see it on his face.

     "It's not easy for Vikings to just like dragons so easily I guess." He mumbled, Astrid shifted.

      "It's because a dragon took his son. When he was a baby, a Stormcutter kidnapped him and flew off. We've all assumed he's dead, there's no way a baby would survive in the clutches of a dragon." Astrid aaid, Rider nodded but kept his mouth shut. A Stormcutter stole a human child? That sounded like a strange thing.

    "Then would you like to ride Toothless?" He asked, gesturing towards the Night Fury who purred at her happily. She seemed to think for a moment before nodding.

"Sure, I don't think I'd get another chance." She said as she stood, Rider joined her, leaving his mask helmet behind as he mounted the dragon. Offering his hand again, he smiled softly at her. She hesitated again but took his hand and sat behind him. Toothless took off and flew high into the sky, Rider sighed softly as they flew. Astrid held her hands up and touched the clouds. He could tell she genuinely liked Toothless and dragons in general. She held no grudge against them like Stoick. But he understood why he would, having lost his son. They flew about before landing close to Berk to drop her off. Astrid climbed down and gave him a smile.

"I'll be gone tomorrow." He said as he looked down at her.

"Can I come see you before you leave?" She asked as she looked up at him, he wanted to say no. Though he felt no need to decline her.

"As long as it's morning, otherwise I intend to be gone a tbh least an hour after the sunrise." He said, Astrid nodded and saved at him as she left. Rider watched her leave before returning to the cove, laying on the ground as he closed his eyes. Soon, sleep took him over.

The next morning he and Astrid shared a breakfast before he left, he enjoyed. He felt like he actually had a friend for once. Especially one around his age and not just a chief of a tribe that was old. Toothless purred on the flight back, looking up at Rider. He smiled down at the dragon and pat his head. They were finally heading home.