12

Rider hadn't been back to Berk since he helped the few Berkians. He kept in touch with the chieftess named Valka. He sighed softly as he tossed around on his fur bed, he was bored. There were no signs of Drago or his crew, he's cleared out as many possible dragon traps as well. Rider groaned which caused Toothless to look at him and whine, nudging at his side as he buried his face in the fur below him. Soon, the sound of a Terrible Terror echoed through the caves he rested in. He sat up as the Terror brought him a paper rolled up, immediately he could see the seal of Berk on it. He smiled as he began to read Astrid's handwriting. Sometimes Astrid would send him letters to come "save" her. Which meant she wanted to go fly around with him somewhere as a break from the idiots around her.

Rider pat Toothless on the head and immediately began to put his armor on, he didn't dare leave without it. Soon they took off, flying high above the clouds. Toothless growled in delight as they flew, finally getting to stretch his wings after being cooped up. Rider had made him a tail that he could use himself, despite the dragons distaste of it. He felt that Toothless would be safer if he could fly on his own. Soon they reached the cove on Berk, Astrid sat waiting on a rock and smiled upon seeing him.

    "Took you long enough." Astrid said as she got up to pet Toothless who gave her a gummy smile.

    "We actually flew pretty fast over here." He replied as he removed his helmet.

     "We are we going today?" She asked as Toothless growled softly while laying down.

     "I can... bring you back where I live." He said, "you can meet the alpha."

     "You mean your nest?" She asked, Rider rolled his eyes at her comment.

     "Yes. I call it more of a sanctuary though." He said with a pout, she smiled and giggled as they mounted Toothless. He then took off, on his way home with a friend. The ride wasn't long, but they took their time before Toothless carefully made his way through and landed on a ledge where they dismounted the dragon.

"You weren't lying when you said it's a sanctuary." Astrid said in awe as she stared at the dragons soaring through. Baby dragons played about happily at their arrival.

"It is a nest however. The alpha made it as to protect us." He said, gesturing to the ice walls in some areas. She stared around and smiled. They continued to walk around as he showed her things before finally reaching the alpha.

"He's huge.." she said as she stared down at the white dragon who lifted his head.

"Each nest has a Queen. Though his is the king of all dragons, a Bewilderbeast. One of the few remaining of his species." Rider explained as he bowed to the dragon who looked down on them. Astrid stared up in awe at the dragon who blew a puff of ice in her direction. She giggled as she shook the ice from her hair.

"It's amazing." She said as the alpha went back to his resting spot.

"I think he liked you too." He said as he offered a hand to her, "close your eyes and follow me. I have something for you."

"You better not trip me." She said as she took his hand and closed her eyes. He chuckled at her before leading her through the rocks carefully before reaching a clearing on the inside.

"Here, now open." He said as he urged her forward. Astrid opened her eyes to look at a blue and yellow Deadly Nadder in front of her.

"A dragon?" She asked as she looked up at the Nadder who sniffed at her.

"That and how to ride a dragon. That way you can go where you want whenever you want." He said as he urged her forward. The Nadder purred at her as she approached. Astrid smiled and pet the Nadder.

"I honestly don't know how to thank you. For this sense of freedom you've given me." She said, he smiled back at her and shrugged.

"That's what it means to be a dragon." He said as she carefully mounted the Deadly Nadder. Toothless had joined them and Rider mounted him and took off. Astrid soon followed on the Deadly Nadder and seemed to be having fun. He smiled as he watched her, a warm feeling in his chest. Eventually they landed on a nearby island to rest, they dismounted their dragons and Astrid laughed as she stretched her legs.

    "This is so cool!" She said happily as she wrapped her arms around Rider who froze at the sudden hug. He honestly had no idea what to do besides stand there and Astrid quickly realized and let go of him. "I'm sorry.."

    "It's fine." He replied just as soft as she apologized. They were left in an awkward silence for a moment before the Nadder nudged at Astrid.

    "I decided to call her Stormfly." She said, Rider smiled at this.

    "It suits her." He replied, "you can visit me anytime with her if you'd like."

     "I can bring her to the cove. They won't bother her." She said as she scratched at the dragons scales who purred at the touch.

"We can call it a day, it's late and I need to make my rounds." Rider said as he mounted Toothless. Astrid then mounted Stormfly with a smile.

"I'll be sure to visit." She said before taking off. He watched her for a moment before Toothless looked up at him and purred.

"Don't give me that look." Rider said as he turned his head away. The dragon mimicked a laugh before taking off in the opposite direction.