Chapter 3

Today's the day!

Rainkit's pelt bristled with excitement, much to the annoyance of Meadowfrost, who was desperately trying her best to smooth it back down. "Hold still, Rainkit! I'm almost done." The young tortoiseshell huffed at her mother but obligingly sat as still as she could. Her paws were itching with impatience. Hurry up! It's almost time!

Finally, after what seemed like ages, Meadowfrost let her get up. "Alright, please try not to get all dirty before your ceremony." Rainkit nodded vigorously, hopping from one foot to the other. Meadowfrost turned her gaze to Amberkit, who was about to follow Rainkit outside. "Not so fast," she mewed, snatching his scruff and pulling him over. "It's your turn."

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join me beneath the SnowRock for a clan meeting!" Rainkit's heart sped up as Snowstar's familiar yowl echoed throughout the camp. Barely stifling a squeal of excitement, she darted out of the den.

The SnowRock was a decent sized boulder that sat right outside of Snowstar's den. Conveniently, it was set deep into the ground and could not be moved or rolled away. The ground in front of it dipped down and spread out slightly. It made a nice area for cats to gather. When the weather was warm, the clearing was full of short grass and shrubs. SnowClan territory typically never had rain, but on the rare occasions it happened, the middle of camp would pool with rainwater.

Rainkit tried to compose herself as she approached the SnowRock. Amberkit was trailing behind as Meadowfrost fought to finish grooming his fluffy fur. Some of their clanmates were already seated and watching them with amusement. Amberkit swatted his mother away. "I look fine!" he huffed, hurrying up next to Rainkit.

Snowstar was patiently waiting at the top of the SnowRock while the rest of the clan gathered. According to Darkblossom, the white she-cat had been SnowClan's leader for a long time. Darkblossom herself had still been a warrior when her daughter became leader. Apparently, she'd never taken a mate or had any kits either. She always led her clan with as much patience and dedication as she could and her clanmates had always respected her for it.

Once everyone had settled down, Snowstar raised her tail for silence before starting the ceremony. Rainkit felt a thrill of excitement run down her spine as Snowstar's icy blue eyes meet her own. 

"Rainkit and Amberkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to begin your journey as apprentices. From now on, until you receive your warrior names, you will be known as Rainpaw and Amberpaw." Her gaze shifted to the crowd of cats. "Roseheart!"

The familiar dark gray pelt of Lionshadow's sister came into view as she padded forward. Rainpaw looked up at her new mentor, pleased. She'd always liked Roseheart. She would frequently visit the nursery kits and play games with them. It would be a nice change of pace to have her as an actual mentor. 

"Roseheart, you will mentor Rainpaw. I expect you will pass down all of your knowledge and patience onto her as she goes through her training." The gray she-cat smiled gently at her, touching her nose to Rainpaw's.

Snowstar returned her attention to the crowd. "Smokepelt, come forward." Rainpaw watched as a thin gray tom stepped forward, tail twitching. "You have proven yourself to be a strong and loyal warrior time and time again, but you haven't had an apprentice yet." Snowstar flicked her fluffy white tail at Amberpaw. "So, you are now the mentor of Amberpaw. I trust that you will teach him how to be just as capable as you are."

Rainpaw watched as her brother and his new mentor touched noses. She was dying to get out into the forest. What will it be like? I can't wait to find out!