Chapter 10

I wake with a start as Nick plops down on the couch beside me. I look over and see that he has two cups of cantaloupe juice from the Mexican restaurant. He hands me one and I greedily take a big drink.

"My favorite," I moan.

"Figured you could use it after this morning," he says with a smile.

"No kidding. Liberty says hi," I say before taking another drink.

"She needs to come home for a visit, I miss her," he says with a nod.

"Okay before we talk about what's been going on with you, I need to tell you something," I say carefully.

"Okay," he says hesitantly.

"I am dating Ryan," I say fast, ripping the band-aid off.

"What?" he almost shouts. "You can't date Ryan. Our families are too close and what if something goes wrong. Besides, he is not good enough for you."

"Fratello, I'm not asking for permission. I am dating Ryan and if it doesn't work then we will figure it out. Look, I really like him and he is more than good enough for me."

"Giana, you don't understand, Ryan is too old for you and too experienced for you. His ex told me that he was into some weird stuff, bedroom wise," he says, looking uncomfortable.

"What's your point? What we do in the bedroom isn't any of your business. You don't know what I like but let me tell you, I do like Ryan and I'm going to see where this goes," I tell him pointedly.

"I hate this conversation," he grumbles.

"Well you brought it up," I grumble back. He sighs and looks at me for a couple of seconds.

"If you really want to do this then I support you, but I'm not happy about it," he says as he takes my hand in his.

"That works for me," I say as I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Tomorrow I need you to come by the house for lunch. I need to talk to you and Pops together," he says, looking off in the distance.
"Okay, can you give me a subject matter so I can study?" I say, trying to lighten the mood.

"I need to talk to you guys about mom," he whispered. I tensed up and had to remind myself to breathe. Nonni's words in her last couple of weeks ring in my head.

"Okay," is all I can say.

"Okay," he whispers back.

"Hey baby, wake up," Ryan whispers. My head shots up off Nick's shoulder and I realize I must have fallen back to sleep. Nick is watching the game, letting me drool all over him. I even forgot to order the pizza. Ryan is looking at me with worried eyes while rubbing circles on my leg with his thumb.

"I'm okay, I promise," I say, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him in for a kiss. I look up and see Chase and Amber standing by the dining room table talking.

"Chase, I forgot to order the pizza, can you do it for me?" I ask from the couch.

"Yeah beautiful, I got it," he says looking at me with a smile.

"Come with me," I say to Ryan.

"Oh god, please don't leave to go make out, I can only be so understanding," Nick says with a groan. We chuckle and walk to Jack's office hand in hand. I walk over to Jack's desk and pick up the papers Liberty sent over. I hand them to Ryan without a word. He reads over then and his jaw tightens as he skims through it.

"You and that magic gut," he says, shaking his head at the papers.

"Amelia is Chases right?" I ask.

"Yeah and while this doesn't change much, it does give us something to make sure she signs our papers," he said, finally looking up at me. He smiles and kisses me softly. "Chase was right; I don't know what we would do without you."