Still on a Break

The new place was in an older building with a modern interior design

The new place was in an older building with a modern interior design. The decor reminded Ray of Ramee's apartment, but she didn't mention that to April, and she seemed to love it. It was a two-bedroom apartment located only a block away from the beach and three blocks away from a shopping center and restaurants—honestly, a perfect paradise for April since she was a social butterfly. Ray didn't care too much about the coastal location, but April loved it, so that's all that mattered. She stepped out to the back patio to allow April to settle down and unpack her things.

She closed the back door and settled into one of the loungers before dialing Randy.

"Ya, I'm already in the queue for that. Do you have thermite? " Randy answered the phone with a lot of energy. It sounded like he was running around the cubby. "Raymundo! How is it going?"

"Randy! Who are you talking to?" She asked him curiously. Ray checked the back door to ensure that April was not eavesdropping on their conversation.

"You, you donut!" Randy laughed. A loud crash came from his side. "Hey, hey, watch it. I'm standing right here."

"No, no," Ray couldn't hold back the giggle. It was impossible not to laugh when he was laughing. "Is someone around you?"

"Oh, Anto, Taco, and I are trying to do the jewelry store," he said. Of course, he is talking to two people at once. Ray heard a door close on his end, and it sounded like his apartment door.

"Remind Anto to put gas in the car before doing the heist," she joked about the last time they tried to rob the jewelry store.

"Hah! I think he learned his lesson from last time.. hee.. don't worry. I'll save him if it comes down to it," he laughed. "What are you up to?"

"Of course, you will! Are you alone?" She asked him curiously. She didn't want anyone to overhear the conversation.

"Uhh, ya just checking to see if I got thermite in my apartment," he sounded concerned as she heard him digging through his stash. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm good. Listen, what I'm about to tell you, you can't tell anyone, okay? Only Mr. K knows the real reason, and Vinny knows that I will be gone for a bit," Ray told him quietly and made sure that April was still inside.

"What are you on about?" She heard the digging stop as he fully paid attention to their conversation.

"Promise me?" She asked him in a soft tone, which made it impossible for him to say no to her.

"Huh?"

"Randy... please," Ray pleaded.

"Okay, okay! I promise. What's going on?" He sounded concerned. Ray didn't use the word 'please' lightly.

"I'm going to be gone for a while. I don't know exactly how long, but probably a couple of weeks. I have to take care of someone. Umm, it's someone important to me. I can't leave her...I mean them.. ugh," she tried to cover it up. Randy stayed quiet on the phone. "Okay, listen. I will be straight with you because we don't keep secrets from each other, April is not in a good mental place, she was going to run away, and I couldn't let her leave by herself. She's scared, frustrated, and can't sleep since the serial killer incident, and I know that Ramee is your best friend, but you can't tell him about this."