Escape

Ray woke up the next day feeling much better

Ray woke up the next day feeling much better. Her head still pounded but the fever and dizziness was gone. Vinny scolded her for working too much, but he was too soft to punish her. She was his "little Darlin" after all.  Novah brought homemade soup to make her feel better. Jaylen dropped off a giant soft blanket to make her feel comfortable. From Randy all she got a text - "Call me, we need to talk."

"What's good, Ray? How are you feeling?" Randy picked up the phone quickly. She sat down on her bed to get comfortable, knowing that it will be a long conversation since Randy asked her to talk to him.

"I'm feeling better," Ray replied. She relaxed on the pillow, closing her eyes as she enjoyed his comforting presence, even over the phone. "What did you want to talk about?"

"What's going on, huh? You are gone all the time, overworking yourself and just straight up ignoring me," he sounded upset but mostly concerned.

"Randy, I'm not ignoring you. Max and I just started this business, and a lot is going on," she told him part of the truth.

"Ray, listen. Let's cut the crap. You have to take a break," he continued sternly. "You can't be mad at me for this, but I've talked to Max. He will hire a couple of nighttime grinders to help with the materials, so you have enough to make your morning orders."

"Randy, I..." she started to argue with him, thinking about the loss of profits from the hired help. She needed to make money, she needed to stay busy to keep her mind off the serial killer.

"No," his voice was strict. "I don't want to see you go through that again.  You are gone all the time, and no one has seen you in days. I... uh...We all want to see you around more often."

A small giggle escaped his mouth as he tried his best to cover up his mistake.

"Really?" Ray smiled as she knew exactly the facial expression he made as he tried to correct himself.

"Yes, and you need to sleep!" He cleared his throat, resetting himself back into the serious mode.

"Okay, okay!" Ray couldn't help but giggle at his sternness. "Thank you for helping."

"You know I got you," his voice softened. Randy paused. "Also, what is this that I hear about Gunner?" He asked curiously.

"What? Is he telling people things again?" Ray sat up, raising her voice. "I'm gonna stab his other eye out!"

"Huh?" Randy sounded confused.

"We dated on and off, so he loves telling people about it. Gunner calls me his baby monster or future ex-wife or some shit," she started jabbering. If she talked quick enough, then Randy couldn't ask questions. "Gunner picked me up last night, I was drunk, so he gave me a ride home last night. That's it!"

"You dated Gunner?" She could her a smile in his voice.

"How was that all you heard?" Ray smirked as she played with the soft blanket.