Chapter Eight: Checkmate

You drag behind the three boys keeping your head down, hands shoved in your pockets. Bakugou notices and slows down shouting at Todoroki and Midoryia when they take notice. They ignore his rant and keep walking putting more space between Bakugou and them. He matches your pace scowling ahead of him. You side-eye him curiously as he walks next to you.

"Keep going out of your way for me and you might hurt yourself."

He scoffs and looks at you with a playful smirk.

"You sure it won't be me breaking you?"

"Is that a challenge?"

"Who knows."

You feel the corners of your mouth curling up into a smile. You shake your head and look forward, huffing out. You try stuffing the pit in your stomach away. Why am I so nervous, it's not like I care? You glare at the school drawing closer trying to ignore the crushing anxiety.

"What's up with you dumbass?"

I cannot even express how irritating it is that this man can literally see right through me!

"Nothing."

"Wanna try that again?"

You keep stomping forward deciding stealing Sensie's sleeping bag would be better at this point. Bakugou steps in front of you blocking your rampage. He leans into your face causing your cheeks to heat up.

"Or am I going to have to make you tell me?"

"Why do you even care?"

"Stop avoiding me."

"I'm not!"

"Wanna try that again."

"Oh my god, Bakugou will you go into town with me!"

He stands back up, giving you a stunned look. He smirks at you and throws his head back laughing loudly.

"Oh, you look hilarious, a blushy mess. You think you're so confident."

He looks back at you leaning in so close his lips hover over yours, noses almost touching. He whispers, nearly growling as he speaks.

"But we know better don't we?"

You freeze up holding your breath as he stares into your (E/C) eyes cockily. You want to back up but you can't move. Want to yell at him but you can't think of a single word to say. He cocks his head to the side keeping his red eyes locked with yours.

"Did I break you that easily?"

You finally snap back to reality breaking your trance. You grit your teeth and speak quietly.

"Yes or no?"

"Ask me on your own time."

"What!?"

He stands up smirking at you, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"I'm not an idiot."

He knew?! He fucking knew, how the hell?! You stutter trying desperately to throw him off, but that was it. You were in checkmated and there was nowhere to move the king.

"I, uh, fuck you."

He snickers and starts walking leaving you stumped, jaw slightly ajar.

***Later that day***

You punch the bad aggressively putting all your anger into each hit. You always head to the reck room when you are stressed. Bakugou wasn't around since it's not a school day. So you were blasting your music and yelling at the punching bag.