𝐱𝐢.The Boy With the Maledictus

September, 1927

September, 1927

   CIRCE ENTERS PLACE CACHÉE.

   Tina follows after her, the two women making sure that nobody sees them pass through the Moving Statue.

   The streets of the magical part of Paris are vivacious tonight, brought to life by the live performances of Circus Arcanus outside of the main tent for which one must get tickets. Showcasing fire-breathers, people flying in large bubbles or presenting magical creatures.

   Circe's attention is drawn to the Zouwu caged on the side, chained and restrained, so it cannot escape. Which it could with ease otherwise, for a Zouwu is one of the fastest beasts to ever exist, capable of leaping from one side of Paris to the other. At least this Zouwu looks very capable of it, unless it's been severely harmed.

   The Dalton witch wants to help the poor creature and release it, but there are other matters she must attend to first.

   Tina, unlike Circe, did not get distracted. She stepped into the line for tickets inside the main tent, where the most captivating attractions should be — one of those being the Maledictus.

   A woman who can shapeshift into a snake until she's forever trapped in the body of the animal.

   Circe joins Tina, smiling thinly. Her entire body is tense. She doesn't like being at the circus, knowing that most of the creatures her eyes can spot are possibly suffering.

   The queue moves swiftly.

   Circe pays for the entrance of both women, each ticket inside the tent costing her ten sickles. Which is a large sum for a show of torture — although most of the people coming to these showcases do not think of it as such.

   "You didn't have to do that," says Tina, once both women make their way inside. "I have my own money. I'm capable of paying for myself."

   "I'm certain you do," says Circe. "But I felt like it would be easier this way," she explains herself, shrugging.