𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢.Ruin the Friendship

October, 1929

October, 1929

   CIRCE PURSES HER LIPS.

   The Dalton witch sticks yet another cutout of a possible Grindelwald sighting in the company of Aera, Vinda Rosier and Queenie Goldstein to her already filled cubicle. She's been tracking their movements merely for a month, but Circe is truly not one to dally.

   Sitting in her chair, she stares at the cutouts from a slight distance, examining every piece of text that even remotely mentions her mother. Circe sighs, running a hand through her hair.

   In the corner of her eye, she spots Theseus walking alongside their superior, Alastair Longbottom. They talk about something together, and based on their expressions, Circe knows that it's an important matter. One that Theseus might share with her later.

   Circe keeps her eye on the Head Auror, secretly admiring the view. Like always, he wears a suit and tie, his hair kept in neat curls. The witch smiles in greeting, when Theseus notices that she's watching him.

   He arches up an eyebrow at her and gives her a look. She shrugs in response. It makes Theseus chuckle lightly. He rolls his eyes playfully, shaking his head at the woman.

   Alastair pretends to be oblivious to their antics, as if he's not currently speaking to the Head Auror. They get off easily, because he respects both Circe and Theseus, and because he knows they're friends. Alastair has worked with Theseus for nearly two decades, and he doesn't remember the last time he saw the Head Auror be as high-spirited as he is now. Certainly, he was happy with Leta, too, but it was different.

   Theseus is a whole new person with Circe in his life.

   He begins paying attention to Alastair again once Circe returns to the work on her desk. It puts a frown on her lips, yet she continues cutting out excerpts from newspapers. She sticks them to the wall, creating connections between each of them in her head.