3

She looked out the window. Watching all of Vegas and all it's buildings. Full of light and people. The very tall buildings stand out. Just as Ruth's casino did. But she wasn't there. She's sitting in a man's black sports car miserably looking out the window.

"What's with the long face Ruth?" Maurin asked. Ruth glared at him. He sounded genuinely worried. Maybe it's an act. Or he just does care. Bullshit. Ruth thought.

"I'm fine"

She continued to look out the window. Trying to look bored instead of sad. But that's no use. Maurin places a hand on her thigh.

"Tell me if you are uncomfortable" he sighed. "I... Don't want you distant from me."

"Why did you want me Maurin? Why not money? A bit of land? Something? Why me?" Ruth asked. And the man sighed again.

"I suppose you deserve to know" He squeezed her thigh. "I am quite lonely right now. And I need a friend."

"That's not true. Tell me the truth don't i deserve it?" She pushed.

"I want a lover. But love is really complicated. I understand that you don't want to love, or if you just hate me because I took you from your casino. But maybe..." Maurin paused. "Maybe I could just get a friend." He said. But this time he did sound like he meant it.

"Oh" is all Ruth could let out. It's crazy how loneliness can make you feel. So much to take a woman from her most valuable possession. Ruth shouldn't think like that. But she can't really help it.

"We're here" Maurin pulled to a house. A really big one. Vines slowly take over the gray painted walls, a fountain in the driveway, black gates protect the house.

"Make yourself at home Ruth, and get comfortable" He said. Locking the car. The two went inside the house. Marble floors, porcelain walls, black shelves and desks, books, and plants were all inside this marvelous house. And so was a woman.

"Oh Maurin!! So glad you're home sweetheart how are you?" She pulled Maurin into a hug.

"I'm alright mom," Maurin looked at Ruth. "Mom, this is Ruth, my friend"

The lady gasped and walked to Ruth.

"Oh how lovely you are dear! So glad to meet you, I'm Annalie but you can call me Annie dear" the woman smiled. "Do you like coffee?"

"How could I not?" Ruth let out a breathy laugh. Annie walked to the kitchen and poured some coffee into two mugs, and gave one to Ruth and another to Maurin.

♧♢♤♡

"Maurin?"

Ruth really didn't want to do this, but she couldn't stop thinking about her casino. So, she opened the door to Maurin's room. He was sitting on his desk, writing something and holding a pen in his hand.

"Yes Ruth?"

"I will keep my casino, right?" 

"It's still yours. You just aren't there"

That's what she didn't want to hear. She wanted to hear that we can go to the casino and stay there, but his mind seems to be made. Ruth entered his room and closed the door silently. 

"I want to go back." She slammed her hand on the desk. Maurin smiled.

"I'm sorry Ruth, but I can't do that. You belong to me"

She didn't say anything else. Was she overthinking? Ruth did trust Ivy to take care of it, but she was acting like the casino was a baby. Yet it was all she had. With a sigh, she left Maurin's room and went back to hers. Or the one they gifted. Ruth looked in the mirror on the wall. She traced the scar on her eye.