6

How does someone get theirselves into situations they don't want to participate in. Ruth pondered that question while she pushed around the steak on her plate in a strangers dining table. Sat next to her was Maurin and Ivan. Both of which didn't feel like eating. Across the table was their parents, and parents of Gemma, the soon-to-be wife. She didn't seem thrilled to meet Maurin either.

"So you own a casino?" Ruth's attention was caught by Liam, Gemmas father. Ruth glanced at Maurin who wasn't paying any attention to the conversation.

"Yes, sir, I do" Ruth replied.

"Isn't it that really big casino that everyone talks about?" Gemma asked. Ruth glanced up at her from her food and nodded.

"Well enough about Ruth, what do you like to do for fun Gemma?" Arthur asked. Asshole. They asked questions over and over to Gemma. She was clearly irritated but continued the conversation anyway. A little bit after everyone finished their food and the waiters picked up the plates, all the men left outside for a cigarette. The women stayed inside chatting. Which were Ruth, Gemma, and her mother Odette.

"So Ruth, you look like a very interesting person" Odette said, "besides owning and running a casino, what else do you do?"

Well there's a series of things Ruth does. Kill is one, manipulate, sells drugs, you name it. But if she's talking about a good habit then maybe there's one she does once or twice.

"I like to hang out in rooftops" she answered. "Like to observe the city and to relax and feel the nice air, sometimes to get away from people" Ruth answered. Odette nodded in approval.

"Okay well enough about her what about you, Maurin?" Liam said.

"Well what about me?"

"Well, do you like to hangout in rooftops too?" Liam snickered and giggled, so did Arthur until they both bursted in laugh. Rudely, Ruth pushed her chair back and left the dining room.

"Maybe she's going to find another rooftop to hangout in" Arthur snickered again. If she had her gun on her today she'd shoot them both. But of course the wives would call the police and Ruth would be arrested. Bad idea. She left the house and went to the front yard to sit in the swinging bench. It was a horrible idea to come here in the first place.

"Oh honey." A feminine voice said behind her. Ruth turned and was met with Odette and Anna's eyes on her.

"I'm so sorry, Liam is too covered in his pride that he can come off demeaning" Odette said. Anna was the first to sit down next to Ruth and Odette followed. Ruth sighed deeply.

"I'll live" she said. "I just needed some fresh air" Ruth flashed a smile to both of the women next to her. Odette smiled and gave Ruth a big hug and Anna joined in the hug too. Don't cry now Ruth. She thought. She kind of needed this hug. Ruth felt her eyes water and she sniffled. She looked up so the tears wouldn't stream down her face. She felt Anna's hand run up and down her back before both of them pulled away from the hug.

"We must go back before our husbands wonder where we are" Anna said. She rummaged through her bag and pulled a pack of tissues and gave it to Ruth. She mumbled a thank you before the women left Ruth alone. A soft airy breeze dried whatever tears were in Ruth's eyes. She blew her nose and breathed for a minute. Ruth cleared her throat and continued inside the luxurious hell they call a home.

♧♢♤♡

"I've been asked multiple questions about my life" Ruth said. Tired and still in her clothes the dined in, she breathed the outside air on the rooftop. "Many of them were questions about my casino"

Maurin sat next to her quietly, looking out to the speeding cars that pass by the house. It's windy and sad out. Perhaps everyone's tired today.

"Has anyone asked you a question that made you cry?" Maurin asked. Ruth thought for a moment.

"No" she said.

"A statement?" Maurin added to his question.

"Yes of course. Many hurtful words but nothing made me cry more that what someone said to me"

"What did they say?"

"A year ago, my sister wrote me a note." She said. Ruth has always kept the note on her at all times. To remind her she has no one to love and no one to love her. She memorized this note by heart, and basically would cry herself to sleep. But she never had the guts to read it out loud, so there she was, giving Maurin the note that drove Ruth mad.

"Ruth;
Long time no see right? Yeah, how are you sister? I heard you started life without me. You burned our childhood home and you ran away to Vegas without a trace. No evidence you committed murder and arson. Perhaps I should thank you for getting rid of our source of trauma and heartlessness. I heard you built a casino with the inheritance money, and money of your own. But you left me with nothing, no money to help me take care of myself. I hope you learned how to live on your own without anyone to love you, because I don't love you anymore. You left me so I will leave you. Forever. Do not attempt to contact me in any way, I do not want you in my daughters life. Goodbye Ruth, it was fun while it lasted.
-Sincerely, Roxanne"

On the bottom marked January 14th, 2021.
Maurin seemed to have a kind of understanding as to why this was so hurtful to Ruth.

"I'm so sorry Ruth" he said. Ruth didn't respond. She wanted to fall asleep on the rooftops floor. Which she was about to. She felt her eyes growing heavy. And she felt two strong arms carry her up to a chest. Maurin was bringing her back to her room so she can rest. He placed her carefully on her soft mattress and placed her blanket on top. Then his rough figure sunk in the bed next to her, and Maurin's arm hugged her waist gently. The whole world felt safe and all right as they both drifted to sleep. Comfortable and quiet, the soft rain starts to tap on the window. And suddenly, maybe Ruth's life isn't that bad.