Chapter 1

I woke up, wanting everything to just go away. Nothing has been the same since my dad died when I was 12. I always get bullied. I'm failing math becuase my teacher hates me and continuously sets me up for failure. I'm 18 tomorrow, and I'm not even looking forward to it. At least my birthday is on a Saturday. I checked the time on my phone, 5:58 damn, I should have slept that extra two minutes. I heard rain, so I moved my curtain to the side and realized its storming outside.

My mom opened my door and was about to wake me up, but saw I was already up. "Tanessa? Up early? Are you sick?" My mom joked. "No mom, I'm not sick. I'm fine" I said as I giggled slightly. "Well I made breakfast." She said. I got up and started heading downstairs, to the kitchen. "Thanks mom!" I yelled as went down the stairs. I ate my breakfast, which was waffles and bacon. Them my mom walked in the room and informed me that school today was canceled due to the storming.

I actually get to stay home. Yes! "Great, so I can sleep all day and or listen to music!" I said. "No no no, you can come with me and we can shop for your party tomorrow." My mom replied. Party? What? "What party?" I asked. "Surprize!" She responded. "What do we need?" I asked. "Come to think of it, not much. I got most of it last week. You could stay home and sleep" she said. "Thank you!" I said as I hugged her and ran up to my room to sleep.

I rested on my bed until I drifted asleep. I woke up an hour in a half later to my mom getting home. As the day went on I mostly listened to music. Before I knew it, it was time for dinner. Huh, I guess I missed lunch. I went downstairs, and ate my dinner, all we had was macaroni. Then I watched The Hunger Games with my mom. After that we watched Catching Fire. Then finally Mockingjay.

"I just realized I forgot to get something at the store. I'll be right back." My mom said, unlocking the front door. I checked the time. "At 12:47 and the morning?" I asked. "Yes, be back soon." She said as she closed the door. I stayed on the couch and eventually fell asleep.

I was woken up by a knocking on the door. Doesn't she have keys with her? I got up and opened the door, only it wasn't my mom. It was two police officers. "Is this the household of Melissa Laney?" One asked. "Um... Y-yes. That's my mom." I replied. "There has been an accident. We need you to come with us" he replied.