Chapter 5

I turned around and standing there was Clara. "I'm sorry if I scared you! I just didn't want to disturb you so I tried to be quiet. I put ice cream in the freezer for you." She said. "N-no. No it's fine. Thanks" I said.

She walked over and helped me get  boxes down. "Would you like me to help you go through it...?" She asked, obviously scared she might upset me. "Y-yes please. Thank you..." I trailed off. The two of us began looking though boxes. We found old photos, things from when I was a baby, and old things that belonged to my mom. I cried at the sight of the memories

We were this for a few hours. Box after box. Then we found a large box, full of notes, letters, and they all had my name on them. And were signed by my mom. The one on top, perfectly put together in an envelope was labeled: Tanessa, don't read this until I'm already dead

"A-already?" I said. Clara looked over at the letter. Did she know when she would die? Or is it just poorly worded? I knew how carefully my mom labeled, worded, and described things. She never liked rumors. She never wanted to be responsible for spreading them, even accidentally.

I carefully opened it, being extra sure not to tear through her unnaturally perfect handwriting.

Dear Tanessa,

I hope you never have to read this. Unfortunately, that is not likely an option. If you're reading this, then I must be dead. You must be an adult by this time. I don't know if you'll be a young adult or not, but the deal was this could not take place until you were no longer a child. I couldn't leave you as a child. Who knows were you would end up? A horrible foster home? An orphanage? I don't want that for you. Anyway, there was no way for me to know if this would happen the second you were no longer a child, or if I'd live to see you get married, and meet my grandchildren. I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am. This is my fault. Your father was supposed to die before you were born, but I played a huge part in keeping him hidden. When "they" found him they killed him. I was supposed to be next, but I made a deal in order to give you a better life. I'm not sure you're ready to know what that deal is, or who "they" are. But when you're ready, it's the letter in a purple envelope, and things written in red ink. It's the only one like that in this box.

I love you,
Mom

I had read it along with Clara. She sat there, frozen. She was murdered.

"She was... She was murdered. T-they killed my mom!" I cried.