Chapter 22: Three's a Crowd

By the time Cameron and Emery arrived back at the house, everything but the porch light was out

By the time Cameron and Emery arrived back at the house, everything but the porch light was out. Understandably so, especially since they arrived a few moments shy of midnight. The two parted ways in front of Emery's room, where Cameron insisted that Emery go inside first before anything else.

"See you in the morning," he said.

Of course, as hopelessly romantic Emery was, even that slight interaction cost him a few hours of sleep for thinking about it too much.

He didn't mind it one bit.

The next day was Ian's birthday.

Aside from the 6 o'clock alarm Emery had set annually on his phone for this particular day, the clattering noises from the kitchen led him to think that he wasn't the only one who planned ahead.

The trip downstairs was made better by the sight of a frustrated Bryce covered in cake mix and what appears to be a failure of the name "icing". Measuring cups lay upside-down everywhere, and by 'everywhere', that included the top of the trash bin. Emery didn't even bother to suppress a laugh at the sight of the flour-covered kitchen counter and didn't dare ask what a coffee maker was doing in the middle of it all.

"I knew it, your plan was to kill us all along," he said as he reached the bottom of the stairs, making sure that Bryce could hear him.

Bryce's shoulders fell, and by the way he threw his head back, Emery could tell that the blond knew that a missile of taunts were coming. You don't spend summer in the same house as your boyfriend's best friend and not be made fun of when you're doing something stupid. It's like a package deal. It's one of the things that makes Bryce pull his own hair since the trip to California.

On the bright side, Emery loves helping the helpless.

"I have never felt so single," the redhead added, sarcasm dripping from his voice as he watched the state of a mess Bryce had brought himself into. "And happily at that."

Bryce was frantically mixing the wet ingredients and trying to shut Emery up at the same time. "Shut up, I'm trying to concentrate here."

Emery crossed his arms and laughed. "Clearly."

Bryce huffed and threw a glare from under his eyebrows. "What are you laughing at?"

"I'm not laughing at you, just remembering something," Emery said in his defense.

Tired, the blond decided to play along as he rewarded Emery with a look that went way past beyond irritated. "Oh yeah, really? What?"

"I had this friend," Emery stated, feigning a reminiscing tone as he rested his elbows on the kitchen aisle. "Couldn't bake to save his boyfriend's life."

Letting out a sarcastic 'ha-ha', Bryce shoved him away, flipping the redhead off in the process. "Fuck you, leave me alone," he said.

Emery shrugged, seemingly enjoying the torment he's decided to cast upon his best friend's boyfriend.