Chapter 24: Caught Between Good Things

Emery was really starting to get sick of these men constantly trying to lay waste to his composure

"One dinner," Lucas told him.

Emery didn't give him a direct answer after that, but he was relieved that at least it didn't go as bad as it did the last time Lucas caught him off guard. They talked, shared a few drinks, and laughed along with some of Bryce's poorly executed jokes. Briefly, Lucas' question hung in the air as the party went on, but it was still there, just with a pin on it.

He likes Lucas. He doesn't have it all figured out yet on the matter of "how" he liked the guy, but Emery was sure that saying yes to one date with him was definitely not out of the picture. This was all new to him: a guy openly liking him, asking him out just like that, being so outward with his words that Emery doesn't have to tire himself figuring it all out.

It takes some getting used to.

Then came Ian's signature Jellos, and the next thing Emery knew, he was dancing to The Weeknd, laughing at anything that breathes until his eyes laid on Lucas.

"I'll go!" he yelled over the music

Lucas' face brightened. "Really?"

"Yes!"

"You know I'm still gonna ask you in the morning right?" Emery stared at his amused grin, only then noticing that Lucas' hands were keeping him from collapsing. Lucas added with a laugh, "You're drunk as hell."

"Am I?" Emery wondered, his eyes blinking too much before he tapped Lucas on the shoulder. "Well... okay! Good luck with that!"

The night ended sooner than anyone thought, which resulted in a painful hangover. There wasn't much to remember from Ian's birthday the next morning, except for the memory of Blake falling horribly from the coffee table.

Lucas: So? Change your mind yet?

Emery snickered under his breath. His answer didn't change. He knew that much.

He replied, 'Nope' with a smiley face, and fell right back to sleep.

The next time he woke up was late in the afternoon with Lucas calling, saying that he was coming to pick him up in an hour. Rattled as he was, he still managed to scramble out of bed and use what little time he had left to get ready.

As Emery entered the bathroom, suddenly more memories from last night came. There was him tripping as he danced tipsily in the living room, and Asher dragging his ass upstairs while he disagreed the whole way. He also recalls stumbling on his way and against the sink of their shared bathroom, leading Emery to conclude that last night was pretty much just him falling anywhere that has a surface.

And Cameron. He also remembers Cameron.

Emery remembers passing out against him, a few of the conversations they had, and realized he may have done a lot of embarrassing things past tripping on his feet last night.