Chapter 4

Jimin

Jimin did move to another distant neighborhood. When he settled down, he transferred to another university there. When his parents asked which major he wanted to study, he didn't hesitate to answer: to study law, like he did in his original school.

However, the school he is in is well-known for its majors in science, which produced many famous experts in the scientific field. Thus Jimin's parents always advised him to turn to study science instead. He refused to do so every time and secretly read his law books when his parents weren't watching. Until...

One day, he was delving deep into yet another one of his 'forbidden' books, smiling as he recalled his merry times studying with Chaeyoung at his old university. Not for long, he became lost in his thoughts.

Suddenly, the door burst open. Looking back in shock,  his father was shouting "AHA!!! WE CAUGHT YOU RED-HANDED!!! HOW DARE YOU ARE READING THIS RUBBISH!!!"

"THIS IS NOT RUBBISH!!! AND WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS INVADING MY PRIVACY!!!" yelled Jimin.

"How many times did I tell you to study science? The school is full of acclaimed professors, elite students, and many internationally-known scientists!" his father said, while snatching the law book out of his hands.

"Appa, I told you many many times that I want to study law, just like my friend Chaeyoung!"

Unexpectedly, his mother also stormed in and said, "How dare you speak to your father like that! Who is this Chaeyoung, huh? Is this person an honors student? Does this person have A+ grades?"

"Eomma, she is my best friend! From high school and even university! We studied together for a long time! I admit that she does not have A+ grades, but she..."

His father cut in and said, "Enough of this Chaeyoung person! Go and revise your science!"

"Appa, eomma! I really have an interest and better grades in law. I promise with all my heart that I would study hard and never disappoint the both of you!!! Really!!!" Pleaded Jimin

"WHAT ABOUT YOUR FUTURE? DON'T YOU KNOW WE WORKED VERY DAMN HARD TO PLAN YOUR FUTURE!!!" Shouted his father

"APPA, I WILL NOT STUDY SCIENCE, UNTIL YOU LET ME STUDY LAW!" Jimin screamed.

His mother hollered, "JUST LEARN YOUR SCIENCE! YOU'RE GROUNDED!!! WE WILL KEEP AN EYE ON YOU!" while holding his book and slammed the door.

Jimin, in complete anger, clenched his fist and punched his desk hard. It was weird that he didn't feel pain at all. Maybe his fury had left him numb. Why didn't his parents understand his preference and his interests!

However, by the time he had to choose a major, he had no choice but to study science as he felt angry from all the annoyance and scolding. What's more, his parents were watching him closely on every single word he wrote like a hawk when he was filling out the form, which made his nervousness instantly overpower the deep resentment.

Despite studying the subject which he didn't enjoy, or even despise, Jimin miraculously got decent grades, and his parents were definitely content. But he couldn't stop missing Chaeyoung when they studied law together, borrowing notes and teaching each other when there were difficulties.

She, seemingly wanting to get his attention, always pointed out the things that were quite easily comprehensible and said, "Oppa, I don't understand this thing, can you teach me?"

He wanted to say no, but she said, "Please...?" with her signature cute look. He knew clearly that she was playing with him, but her pleas made him have no choice but to do so. Jimin chuckled as he remembered such an 'annoying' yet cute scene.

Also, he often went to the Rec room in his new school and sat by a windowsill that was similar to the one they once sat on in his old school. He also brought his newly adopted cat, which lived in his dorm, along with him as it reminded him of bubbly pink-haired Chaeyoung. She was more of a dog person, while Jimin was a cat person, and she once said, "Jiminie oppa, don't you know I like dogs more than cats?" Nonetheless, he smiled every time he thought about it.

He also contacted Chaeyoung, talking with her once in a while on the phone and messaging her, as promised. But as time passed, as more school assignments, lessons, and academic things filled his mind, he started to become increasingly busy and soon forgot about his promise...