Chapter 4

Hoseok

Hoseok was under the weather.

As he was normal before, to be exact, at high school, he didn't know when on earth did it start.

Firstly, there was an irritating feeling in his body, Hoseok simply ignored it, and said to himself 'It's just some cramps from all my intense work!' After all, he was 'chasing' more than three assignments from university, and was up all night at his computer. There was also a project waiting for him as well!

The pain, after that, struck a few more times. He, thinking that it's just mild enough to hurt much, still let it go. However, after a few months, it escalated into a bad ache. It started from his muscles, then to his bones, and much worse, almost everywhere, becoming more and more hurtful as time passed.

It was so severe that it forced him to ditch school and making him howl in agony every single day, he even suddenly had a few seizures here and now. Luckily, it occurred (mostly) when he was at home, not on the road or somewhere else, so he didn't encounter any accidents.

Finally, one day, Hoseok was unable to further withstand the 'torture'. He immediately went to see a doctor.

'Doctor, I feel very sick. Can you help me?'

'OK, please describe your symptoms.'

'My entire body is tormenting me! My muscles, my bones, everything!' He screamed in anguish as the pain struck again.

'Go easy on yourself, then tell me.'

Hoseok calmed down a little and explained it in details.

After the rundown, the doctor said: 'You are diagnosed with a rare mutation genetic disease, which happened to surface recently. Unfortunately it is yet to have a cure, unless it has been found, your life would be in danger and may not live for long. However, here are some pills to make you feel less painful when you need it.', then handed him a bag of pills.

Hoseok, taking the bag with a trembling hand, was devastated. He couldn't believe that he was facing such a grave diagnosis at such a young age. Feeling like his whole life was over before it even began, he lied on the chair hopelessly, unlike his hopeful nickname. The doctor tried to console him, but he couldn't stand it and left.

As if he was a zombie, he limped groggily from the clinic to his home. People, seeing such a scene, pointed at him and whispered to each other 'What's wrong with that guy?' 'Yeah, he's so damn weird' 'Poor boy, he's obviously drunk as hell' 'Mama, why is he walking like a dead man?' Hoseok was too tormented to notice all those teasing and mocking.
.
.
.
.

He then tried to keep up with his studies, but the pain made it impossible. He had to drop out of school and stay home, taking the pills and waiting for the inevitable.

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. Hoseok's pain was unbearable, and he had to take more and more pills just to get through the day. He became a shell of his former self, barely able to move or speak. He was in so much pain that he thought death would be a relief.

One day, he reached his breaking point. The pain was so intense that he couldn't take it anymore. He grabbed the bag of pills and was about to swallow them all when a sudden convulsion hit him. He collapsed on his bed, unconscious, and eventually, lifeless.